Need Tube kits of above 75W Single Ended Class A amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2009, 10:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking Need Tube kits of above 75W Single Ended Class A amp

Instead of buying chinese made tube amp , thought of building tube amp from scratch.

Any kits available ? Any advice? Any ideas?

Thanks
alexk
Old 25th June 2009, 11:11 AM   #2
bigwill is offline bigwill  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

75W power output in SE means you will have to dissipate around 180W if you use pentodes, or something like 300W if you use triodes or triode strapped pentodes (my math is only very rough but I think it's in the right ballpark)

This is VERY HOT.

The biggest triodes people typically use can dissipate around 100W (there are some bigger ones but practicality goes down very rapidly), which means you get around 20W power output in SE. A power supply in the kilovolt range is required.

This is to give you an idea of the (in)efficiency of these things.

The practical limit for a beginner is to aim for about 10W power output, which is attainable with tubes like the KT88. The difference in loudness between 10W and 75W is probably not as great as you'd expect, so you will probably not be disappointed.

I recommend going here:

http://www.tubelab.com/SimpleSE.htm
Old 25th June 2009, 11:55 AM   #3
AatV is offline AatV  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

@pokerking,

Have a look at this German kit! :
http://www.silvercore.de/index.php?833c-amp&lang=en
Old 25th June 2009, 04:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Ok i can reduce wattage. I want to start with SE amplifier kit. Any more proven kit in SE mode?.

I can use low wattage for headphone listening also.
Old 25th June 2009, 06:47 PM   #5
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Need Tube kits of above 75W Single Ended Class A amp

Quote:
Originally posted by pokerking
Ok i can reduce wattage. I want to start with SE amplifier kit. Any more proven kit in SE mode?.

I can use low wattage for headphone listening also.
Building A 75W SE amp is a major and rather expensive undertaking. You would not do that if the goal were to save money. The major cost will be the large transformers.

Best that you start with a smaller project. Look at the Tublab Simple SE. It's built on a PCB. If build as a headphone amp it can be in-expensive. Many people here have experience with this amp.

http://www.tubelab.com/SimpleSE_board.htm

The only problem with this amp is that it is built on a PCB. Nothing wrong with PCBs but if the goal is to learn how to hand build amps by hand using point to point or turret boards then this does not help that goal.
Old 25th June 2009, 07:03 PM   #6
athos56 is offline athos56  United States
diyAudio Member

Default 60w kit

I've almost pulled the trigger on this kit a few times. Check epay listing number (290326288158) no affiliation...
Old 25th June 2009, 08:25 PM   #7
ChrisA is offline ChrisA  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 60w kit

Quote:
Originally posted by athos56
I've almost pulled the trigger on this kit a few times. Check epay listing number (290326288158) no affiliation...
The above looks to be a push pull design. The OP was looking for a 75 WPC single ended design.

That said. Thanks for pointing this out. I have a pair of 1970's vintage Infinity speakers that need 100W to sound their best. They are very inefficient. "Some day" I will have an amp that can drive them well. I'm using a vintage Luxman SS amp now and it's only "ok".
Old 25th June 2009, 08:33 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Actually..

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisA
The major cost will be the large transformers.
The major cost is more likely to be a divorce and/or excessive life insurance premiums...

Beginners and kv power supplies are not a good combination in any circumstance.

Of course, if completed, you wouldn't have to put in central heating at all.
Old 26th June 2009, 04:25 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Have a look at this German kit! : http://www.silvercore.de/index.php?833c-amp&lang=en
I just have to say, EL34 SRPP driving an 833A, now that is a driver stage with some balls!

Cheers

James
Old 28th June 2009, 10:52 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send me more kits. Watts do not matter. I need SE mainly but also look at push pull.

Send me all Tube kits.

Thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!