• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Where do you get those cool layout diagrams?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just wondering where everyone gets those cool layout charts for cutting out the plate/chassis holes for there amps? Is there something free available online or am I the only person that hasn't purchased special software?

Also, I've got a friend that I'm pretty sure would have no problem building anything I gave him plans for, but just in case, is there a company or service out there that will cut the holes in the metal plate for you? I have zero access to metal working tools so I've got to find a work around.

I posted a reply on your other thread... I have just started using google sketchup. It is free...

Regarding metal working tools etc. I think there is a company called front panel express? I think they make up panels to your specification. Not sure how expensive that is though. Another thought, I gather you are in the military? I used to be in the military in Australia. We used to be able to get private jobs done by metalworkers, mechanics, electronics technicians etc on the base. We used to call them "foreigners" (don't know why exactly, probably because they were outside work...). For the cost of a case of beer, you could get a bunch of stuff done, and often not have to pay for materials, as the amounts needed were often found in the scrap bins. The guys were often very good at their jobs and happy to help you out and teach you a thing or two. Worth asking your buddies about... You might be able to purchased a chassis and just have the metalwork guys make the cutouts for you...

Good luck!

Chris

I'll second SY's vote for Front Panel Express... I've used them a few times... very good quality and fast service. Note that they are a German based company and offer the same services in Europe.

I do have a few minor complaints of course, one is that they use pre-anodized stock so your panel has plain aluminum edges instead of the base anodized color. Second, their layout program (Windows only... ugh) only allows decimal spacing, not fractional.

Regards, KM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.