• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Help! tube amp burnt?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys

I have an "old" Icon audio 40, it has been working fine but yesterday I heard a big pop coming from the right speaker. Today the same hapened again but that noise was stronger, then i switched off the amp but I could smell something burninng in side. I opened the amp and I could see what I think that is a resistor burnt.

I can simply replace that resistor but I have no idea what was the cause. I'd like to know to avoid other problems.

Here are some pics with a darker resistor (in the midle of the picture)

url]
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

flatsound

It looks like it's a resistor in series with the screen grid (pin 4) and using the non-connected pin 6 as a tie point. There may be an ultra-linear screen tap from the output transformer (orange lead?) landed on pin 6? It's difficult to tell - the photo is somewhat fuzzy. Use the macro setting (little flower icon) on your camera if it has one, and do not use any telephoto (don't zoom in).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.