These Hong Kong amps have me bummed - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th June 2009, 03:19 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

I haven't heard this one,but I have bought one of their smaller amplifiers with 6V6 tubes for my daughter's graduation from university.It's remote control (made of 3-4mm of solid aluminium sheets)could have cost almost as much as the amp itself if it was made in EU or USA(I speak from experience when a friend showed me the invoice for a spare remote control he bought for his........)Only thing I can say is that nothing at that price can come close to its sound.With a decent cd player and a pair of old Rogers LS6 speakers,my daughter's system is a killer.
As Steve M very correctly said,the day when "Made in China"will be a luxury is very near.In fact I would say that the Chinese are today able to make audio of equal quality with anyone elses.What they need and already started to improve at,is marketing.The specific manufacturer that makes this amplifier has already established a European distribution network and growing strong.If they manage to keep costs as they are now,then many non-Chinese manufacturers will eventually feel the problem.
TubeMack,for $500 and free shipping,BUY IT.Ask them,I think there is an all black version if you prefer.
Old 17th June 2009, 04:51 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Just goes to show you that the raw materials cost is not the determining factor in product price. They are hitting an economy of scale, benefitting hugely from cheap labor all down the chain, and some are taking losses on individual sales from time to time (amps selling in the $200 range) in order to stay visible in the market.

The quality seems to be adequate in most cases. The styling is IMO a little pimped out ;-) but that's popular these days.

Also if you read the fine print in this auction the shipping will cost most people $256US because only air shipping is offered to most countries.
The free shipping is a 9 week ground service with limited destinations.

Consider: A DIY ipod would probably cost about $800 and you'd need a shoulder strap
Old 17th June 2009, 05:15 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Question Huh????

Can we cut all the socio-political BS and get back to the original topic? This is a great amp for the $$$$...start another thread to debate Sino work farms et al...SHEESH!!!!
Old 17th June 2009, 05:53 PM   #24
piero7 is offline piero7  Italy
diyAudio Member

I have tested (and some also modified) some china tube products. They are not so bad as many people says. They are not the top of the market, but considering the price, they are quite good.

The rest are only prejudices.

If I want to build by scratch a pushpull like that I will spend more then 500 US dollars.
Old 17th June 2009, 09:47 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by piero7
I have tested (and some also modified) some china tube products. They are not so bad as many people says. They are not the top of the market, but considering the price, they are quite good.

The rest are only prejudices.

If I want to build by scratch a pushpull like that I will spend more then 500 US dollars.
Thank you my friend
Old 18th June 2009, 02:10 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

I had to join to reply. Have been lurking and learning from this site for over a year now, but this post is soo powerful, trying to keep it alive. Please bere with me. And keep this post in the forefront (especially and manufacturers and retailers that should be in here regularly).

REALITY CHECK gentlemen. Its a shame that the title from the OP of this post included "bumed". Yes it's a bummer in some small sense about the Chinese invasion in the worldwide markets over the past years or so, but if thats what it takes to adjust the markets to more affordable cost-per-dollar tube amp quality, I and many MANY millions more cheer for it.

My late great father, whose entire life and career revolved around music (as a professional) and his home audiophile equipment, NEVER could afford a decent tube amp in the USA. And we were upper middle class. Before his recent demise and convos we had, his direct quote was "IT'S 2009 SON, NOT 1969".

I am at the forefront about child labor labor and cheap displaced Chinese workers in just about any facet of their manufacturing. But if there is a silver lining to this cloud, and what it takes to finally get the US and world markets to affordable tube amps for everyone, so be it!

Take another good look at the OP's original post and pic. Don't tell me or any audiophile anywhere that's not a thing of beauty, and PRICED FOR THE COMMON MAN. That's exactly what NOW, in 2009, is needed to get the attention of parts and other manufacturers to adjust their retail or other prices to reasonable levels, something that has NEVER existed. The days of snobish select few upper income consumers for home tube amps is hopefully on it's way out.

I literally know close to a thousand younger guys and gals in their twenties and thirties that now all know about tube amps vrs solid state. NONE of them can afford tube amps and the redicilious norms that have existed forever. Until China has now trying to reach some of the more affluent markets.

Nobody is debating the inherent problems with them (including safety). But they are not that bad. At all. If that is what it takes to get the hard working consumers to spend their money on, and put significant amounts of strain on the waaay overpriced retailers and manufacturers that are not in China to reduce their prices and adjust exsisting norms and product to acceptable leves for all, I cant cheer loud enough. I AM NOT ALONE.

I had often thought about starting a new thread on this subject solely; and still may. But for now, I hope this thread get's some tangible attention.

Additionally, I am one of the guys trying to get Music Angel (and similar) amps affordable and available in the US markets (sorry Brits..lol), that are either improved and modified from the Chinese manufactures already, or the means to correct the numerous problems with them once they are in the US marketplace and are modified with corrections before sale and retail. It's a loong uphill battle. The only thing that counts is if the consumer wins. and decent home audiophile tube amps make it into the mainstream and are affordable for EVERYONE.

Allow me to say one more time just how cosmetically appealing the OP's original pic from the manufacturer is. I know it's what inside and the engineering that counts.. but.. if this is what it takes....
Old 18th June 2009, 02:22 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Rockmore, I am with you. I've designed several prototypes of better than studio quality amplifiers to be affordable for many-many of those who wants very clean reproduction available for hundreds of thousands dollars only, now I am seeking for manufacturers that can produce them for the price close to what we see on the picture. But I can not! All Chinese manufacturers I've contacted seems to me view us as a source of easy money, their prices look as if they need to build the whole factory, while I know well that they have to lay off their workers because have not enough of orders. It is kind of weird situation, but I still hope to find some, probably through the forum!
Old 18th June 2009, 02:27 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

This thread puzzles me. There seem to be quite a few threads on this list from folks who purchased a chinese (PRC) amp on ebay which promptly catches on fire, blows the tubes and then finally blows the fuse. With lots of free help from overly kind folks here, they repair the fire damage, replace 1/2 the circuit, replace the power transformer then post on this list what a fine purchase they made.

"For $500, it sounds great!"

At some point, you cannot avoid the fact that you will never get more than what you paid for. Sometimes less, but never more.
Old 18th June 2009, 02:43 AM   #29
Steve M is offline Steve M  Australia
diyAudio Member

Please consider also that the MC-100B amp in the pic is but a 'start' in the line up of Chinese audio amps, if its that good looking at $500 just imagine how good a $2,000 Chinese amp is !?!?

Here is a website for a U.K based company Ornec representing many Chinese audio products - the quality and variety of products on offer is mind blowing!

http://www.ornec.com/Amplifiers_QQB4B

Click the image to open in full size.
Shanling CD300 $5K

Mingda Dual 845 Monoblocs 95w/ch (UK designed) $3KUSD

Melody 1688 preamp $3K

Looks like pretty good workmanship to me ...

Regards,

Steve M.
Old 18th June 2009, 03:00 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Quote:
Originally posted by ethermion

At some point, you cannot avoid the fact that you will never get more than what you paid for. Sometimes less, but never more.
I would be happy if somebody of them built for me the chassis and PCBs only for the half price of the whole amp they sell.

Hide this!Advertise here!