• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Speaker sounds blown...but isn't

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently aquired a Danelectro DM-10 guitar amp whose speaker had a dropped voice coil. I replaced it with a known good speaker and it still had that "rattle" that is indicative of a voice coil rubbing. I tried 3 different speakers, incuding a new Jensen with the same result. All of these speakers sound fine in other amps...any ideas?:confused:

The problem may be the speaker cabinet. The baffle, or the sides, or anything inside may be cracked or loose and rattling around. Was the whole enclosure dropped or just the speaker driver ? ( I am not sure what you mean by the voice coil dropped )

Also, before concluding that the dropped speaker is OK you may want to do the reverse substitution, and try the dropped speaker into one of the other known good amps. Maybe the speaker and the cabinet are both damaged.

To Robert

Thanks for the reply. A dropped voice coil just means it has become malformed and is rubbing the gap. All three speakers have been in other amps with no rattle . It has not been physically dropped. The enclosure is solid...I wondered if the grille clothe may be flapping...I've heard of such a phenomena...but it appears to be drum-tight!!!:bawling:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
bereanbill said:
No scope...keep in mind I am a weekend tinker... I did mod the circut a bit...just added a bypass cap on the I valve and the 6V6..could this have an impact?

Serious week-end tinkerers should have a scope, older Tek models aren't that expensive.
I would suggest you remove your mods and check the result.

Try to fix an amp without a scope is like trying to read in the dark...

Tap on your tubes to see if any are microphonic. Wiggle the tubes in their sockets to see if any pins have intermittent contact. Conect the output to some other speaker cab so there is no speaker vibration hitting the amp chassis. ANy difference?

And unless you have a rubber mallet, ball up your fist and whack the top of hte amp hard. If the amp reacts with some sort of sound, there is a loose connection inside somewhere.

bereanbill said:
I recently aquired a Danelectro DM-10 guitar amp whose speaker had a dropped voice coil. I replaced it with a known good speaker and it still had that "rattle" that is indicative of a voice coil rubbing. I tried 3 different speakers, incuding a new Jensen with the same result. All of these speakers sound fine in other amps...any ideas?:confused:

Is the speaker cone fouling the cabinet somewhere ?

Otherwise sounds like an amplifier problem.

I was experimenting with my amp and my amp was in a state where layout was pretty sloppy. I heard sounds similar to what you are describing at higher volumes. I confirmed with a scope that the amp was breaking into oscillation every time the amp clipped but would stop when the amp recovered from clipping. Looked wierd on the scope. Sounded exactly like what you are describing.

Cleaning up the layout (making leads very short) cured the problem.

SpreadSpectrum said:
I was experimenting with my amp and my amp was in a state where layout was pretty sloppy. I heard sounds similar to what you are describing at higher volumes. I confirmed with a scope that the amp was breaking into oscillation every time the amp clipped but would stop when the amp recovered from clipping. Looked wierd on the scope. Sounded exactly like what you are describing.

Cleaning up the layout (making leads very short) cured the problem.

Hey...SS..that is the most cohesive reply yet!!! I'll give it a shot. Seems wierd that Danelectro wouldn't bypass the cathodes on this am p when most others are. Maybe a lead dress issue??? THX

I would try it with the speaker wired but NOT mounted in the cab.

If it still makes the noise and the speaker is good, it's probably the oscillation mentioned. That happened to me when I removed the "anti-oscillation" cap from my '74 Fender Vibro Champ. (The cap also can reduce some high end.) So I changed the grid wire on that tube to a shielded one and the oscillation was cured.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.