Major amp circuit redesign- need some expert advice - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2009, 10:50 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Major amp circuit redesign- need some expert advice

I was pondering my old S-5 electronics k-12 tube amp kit and I decided that I want to actually get some use out of it. I have been using headphones primarily because of my housing situation and I think it is time for a headphone amp. So, my idea was (in the name of a very low budget) that I use the parts I have from that old amp (a power trans, a few 10GV8's, and some push-pull opts, etc) and build a new one with a whole new circuit. I would just discard the PCB for point to point and use new resistors, caps, and sockets. Now, I am a circuit noob so I hope that there may be someone out there who could help me design a headphone amp using the 10GV8 and the kits iron. I was thinking maybe Single Ended? Would I even have to use those opts?

Any thoughts would be extremely appreciated,

((AE))
Attached Images
File Type: png normal_s-5-electronics-k-12m-tube-amp-schematic.png (23.0 KB, 180 views)
Old 12th June 2009, 10:57 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here is a better copy of the schematic:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Gallery/...ge.php?pos=-99

Old 13th June 2009, 03:24 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I know 10GV8 is not considered the top tube for audio but there must be some way to rig it for a low power application like this....
Old 13th June 2009, 06:21 PM   #4
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

You can use this amplifier to drive your headphones. Use a voltage divider connected across the amplifier's speaker output comprising an 8 ohm resistor in series with a 1 ohm and connect the headphones across the 1 ohm resistor. (The 1 ohm is grounded at one end and this point will be common to both channels to provide the ground connection to the headphone jack.)

You may have excessive hum depending on how noisy that amplifier actually is and you may need to tweak the resistor values to get enough attenuation for the headphones you are using.

There are a lot of otl headphone amplifier designs over at headfi and I would take a look at building one of those instead - saving this amplifier for the day when you can use it with speakers again.
Old 13th June 2009, 08:38 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks a bunch for the reply!

Voltage divider, makes sense. But I can't visualize this on paper- could someone draw me a schematic?
Old 13th June 2009, 08:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Attached Images
File Type: gif ppho.gif (4.0 KB, 80 views)
Old 13th June 2009, 09:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot man, I will see how this sounds with my Senn HD 530 II's. Now I can move on to bigger and better things. I am thinking of starting a SE EL34 project so that once I move I can rock the house!

Hide this!Advertise here!