Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Daft Hybrid Amp
Daft Hybrid Amp
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2009, 09:01 PM   #1
316a is offline 316a  England
diyAudio Member

Default Daft Hybrid Amp

I don't get it , why do all these dangerous lashups sound so good ? Had this one up for the last few weeks , started with choke loaded IRFP150 , found a bias sweetspot at 1.5A and went from there Could probably do with more current but I'd imagine the chokes are running on the ragged edge Original input valve was a 5687 , then changed to type 26 , now running 15E . Total lashup , using a voltage doubler to get 250V HT and running the 15E at 180V/2.5mA which is far too low , but it sounds good as it is The filaments of the input valves draw 20 watts each , the mosfets are running at 15 watts dissipation per device . Filament supply weighs 30kg . Not really chassis happy but never mind , I'm enjoying this thing as it is

316A
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15ehyvrid.jpg (91.8 KB, 408 views)
Old 13th June 2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

Daft Hybrid Amp
My experiment with similar thingy, 5 years ago. 8AL9 tube and 2 x IRFP460
2 directly coupled stages, bipolar + / - 240V power for tube, CCS in anode (30 mA) of output stage of the tube driver.
Source follower loaded on a plain CCS. Choke filtered 40V.
Sounded like a charm, though dissipated 200w.

Click the image to open in full size.
Nothing in the universe is perfect. The ideal things are the ones that are most optimal. Optimization criteria, what matters. When I hear "No Compromise Design", I want to take a sledgehammer and test how impact-proof it is.
Old 25th April 2013, 11:41 PM   #3
robot797 is offline robot797
diyAudio Member

hey can i have the circuit of that 15E amp
i wanna build something similar but i need to explore some posibilety's

Daft Hybrid AmpHide this!Advertise here!