• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

A good tube amplifier power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The most important design consideration before starting to build a tube amplifier is the fact that the quality of the power supplies is critical.

Here my schematics for a very good design published in the french electronic magazine LED.

R105 and R102 vor 30V between V105 and V121.

R111 - R113 with 5mA for the output voltage: fine adjust with R109.

For preamplifier, amplifier (>500VDC).

Attachments

• ps-ht.pdf
    39.6 KB · Views: 530
I think I'm understanding the schematic - it's two series regulators in uh, series :D The 2N3439 is a battery-supplied current source load for the IRF740 error amplifier, and the 2SK30AGR is a source follower that buffers the error amp's output to the gate of the IRF740. The BZX zeners are there to protect the mosfet's gate-source junction from getting blown on transients, right?

great Bitrex, you are right. Very short response, very low ripple, very low impedance...

I try to find some Fets with integrated zener diode (ST).

As I wrote, I will translate the original article this weekend.

I am waiting for the PCBs and then measurements... Results coming soon!

I am not satisfied with this good design. I think about a LifePO4 Batterie supply: the blancing electronic is designed but I am worry about the charger... but I will find a solution, elegant but not cheap!

LifePO4 Battpack $6000 and $1500 for the charger. I will built it cheaper!

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
Thank you Jean Paul.

Some thoughts:

Consider the possibility to change C105 to be C of 470µF, then small value R, then C of 470µF. This simple CRC can work very well as a first stage filter.

S201 is always off ! Surely change to use terminals 4 and 5. This way becomes an on / off switch. I think this is your intention.

If any 'mains' contamination appears on the ground when you connect source equipment then consider deletion of C204 and C205 'mains filter' capacitors. Explanation: On some source equipment with a two-wire mains lead (example; some CD players) the down-stream equipment can suffer ground issues if C204 and C205 are included. This is 'application specific' and something to keep in mind when connecting the system.

To analog_sa ... I guess C107 is small because it works in conjunction with very large resistor R106 (4,700,000 Ohms) resulting in cut-off of approximately 0.35 Hz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.