Simple SE output transformer: James or Edcor? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th June 2009, 01:57 PM   #1
dogfish is offline dogfish  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Simple SE output transformer: James or Edcor?

Yes, yet another Simple SE thread. I'm starting a build, my first tube amp from scratch.

I have ordered EL34 output tubes. Edcor told me it'll be four weeks before they can get the transformers to me. The question is whether I should switch to James.

James JS-6113HS, rated for 10 watts, $150/pair, can order them today.

Edcor CXSE-25-8-5K, rated for 25 watts, $167/pair, four week lead time.

So they are basically the same price, the wait is the only difference to me (now that I've talked myself into upgrading from the GXSE to the CXSE). The questions I have for the gathered wisdom of diyaudio are:

(a) Will the James JS-6113HS handle the output of the EL34 in ultralinear? Are there tubes I won't want to use because of the size of the 6113 (e.g. KT-88), or will I be OK?

(b) Which one do people think sound better? I've read positive things about both on this board and others.

Thanks for thinking about my n00b question.

- Dogfish
Old 11th June 2009, 02:26 PM   #2
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
I've never used James myself, but they have a good reputation. If you plan on sticking with EL34 and other smaller types, and especially if you are going to be mostly in triode (KT88 in triode would also be fine), then the James is a good option. CFB will help power-through some of the LF distortion that will occur at higher power level, such as UL mode and/or with bigger tubes. It also depends how you will bias a bigger tube versus an EL34.

The big Edcors are nice in that they can handle just about anything this amp can dish out. However, I feel like they do lose some fine detail due to their massive cores. Luckily I have another amp for the finer things.
Old 11th June 2009, 04:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default The search button is your friend

check out this thread:

James Transformers JS-6113HS vsEdcorCXSE25-8-5K for SimpleSE

I'm have a pr of ultralinear transendar 5k's (Ebay) that I am planning on using in the Tubelab SSE, and a pair of james 6123HS's for the Tubelab SE. I just need to squeeze out some time to build......
Old 11th June 2009, 07:51 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I would recommend Electra Print outputs as another choice. Jack builds outstanding transformers and is very helpful with designs if you have questions. His web site is www.electra-print.com and his phone number is 702-396-49909. George at tubelab is a fan of Jack's transformes.
Old 12th June 2009, 04:50 AM   #5
dogfish is offline dogfish  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for all the great info. I think I'll wait for the Edcors to show up.
Old 12th June 2009, 05:25 PM   #6
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

Folks,

Does anyone have an idea of the price ranges on the Electra-Print output transformers?

Thanks,

~Tom
Old 12th June 2009, 05:53 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Tom you should call and or e-mail Jack for prices. He is very personable but can be hard to get in contact with some times. He is getting narly in his old age, but don't tell him I said that. I believe he has some prices on the web site. I haven't been on his web site recently so I can't say what prices are on there.
Old 12th June 2009, 09:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Prices are here:
http://www.electra-print.com/singleended.php
Old 12th June 2009, 10:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Just ask Edcor to design and build you a 15W SE OPT. They'll charge a one-time fee of $20 (last time I asked) and then maybe $60 per OPT instead of $80. Just keep it simple - have a UL tap if you must, but designing for one single 8-ohm secondary spares them a lot of headache.

But most importantly, ask them to give it a model number so the rest of us can try them also

Hide this!Advertise here!