Simple SE aux capacitor - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th June 2009, 05:15 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Simple SE aux capacitor

Hello,

I'm curious what others have used for the auxiliary (or supplemental) power supply cap in the Tubelab SimpleSE.

From reading the threads, I see that it needs to handle about 370-375 VAC (525-530 VDC), and be about 90 to 300 uF.

Are most people are using motor-run caps? Would a 100 uF 500 VDC electrolytic work?

Specifically, any part numbers from the major suppliers would be real helpful!

Thanks!
Old 10th June 2009, 12:23 PM   #2
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

I used a 80uF motor RUN cap from ebay. I believe it is the low ESR of the cap that is important.ebay 80uF cap

There was a thread about this just recently. I used the cap above in several projects. From what I gather though, shipping is expensive for one unit and there may be better deals around. (I had a flat rate box full of them shipped, saving cost).
Old 10th June 2009, 12:26 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

The voltage rating should be above what you maximum voltage level is. So higher than 530VDC or you will have problems.
Old 10th June 2009, 12:30 PM   #4
chrish is offline chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

Motor Run are often listed with an AC voltage rating, so you want better than about 370VAC (x 1.414=523VDC)...
Old 10th June 2009, 03:25 PM   #5
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
As chirish said, the main purpose of the aux cap is the low ESR. This improves the responsiveness of the power supply for HF and other transients. Adding more overall capacitance is not the goal, though it doesn't hurt (some will argue that point that some sag sounds better, but I don't buy into that personally). So if you add another electrolytic, you are adding to the capacity of the supply. However since it will also have relatively high ESR, it still won't improve the supply's response to those transients.

So that's the reason why the size of the cap (60-300uF) is not as important as the type of cap. You want some kind of film/foil cap here. This is another topic that Morgan Jones covers nicely in his book.
Old 10th June 2009, 06:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrish
I used a 80uF motor RUN cap from ebay.

There was a thread about this just recently.
OK, thanks for the info, and the link.

Any idea what the thread subject was? I did some searching, and found a few tidbits of information embedded in other threads, but nothing else jumped out at me.
Old 10th June 2009, 06:52 PM   #7
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Boing...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...41#post1843641
Old 10th June 2009, 07:45 PM   #8
dubdub is offline dubdub  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I use Obbligato Film Oil cap rated at 70uf and am very happy with the results, the leadouts make it easy to connect to the pcb as well

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/?q=cata...atofilmoilcaps

Although I havent done an extensive comparison I definitely prefer the cap in, giving a more smooth quality to the sound
Old 10th June 2009, 08:26 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

The Eyuda International 80uF chrish links to on th' bay is the exact one that I use. I've had it for more than a year with no problems. I bypassed that with an even smaller 0.1uF orange drop, just 'cause I had one.

Hide this!Advertise here!