• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tubes Down Under...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, Super-Radiotron quite common downunder, was branding of Australian RCA affliate Amalgamated Wireless Valve Company (AWV), they made quite a few of their own tubes, mostly local editions of RCA designs, and towards the end of tube TV era, rebranded quite a lot of tubes from Japan (I think Matsushita bought dies and tooling from RCA et al), and poss a few from eastern Europe. They also made local versions of ECC83 that are quite close to Mullard/Philips produced ones.
Last bit of useless info, the Radiotron Designer's Handbook was originally published by AWV, Fritz langford-Smith was one of their senior engineers.

We had only three tube manufacturing plants in Australia. The AWV factory in Sydney, The Philips plant in Adelaide and a Western Electric plant in Melbourne (I think). I don't know a lot about the AWV plant BUT I do know a bit about the Philips plant and even visited it, back in 1973 when I was a 1st year apprentice. The Philips plant ran 2 production lines - the "standard" line and the "CV" line. As the CV line was under utilized, a lot of the Philips Miniwatt stuff was produced on the CV line, to CV (military) specs, so some of the made in Australia tubes were excellent. The AWV factory MAY have done similar - I don't know.
Cheers,
Ian

Also of note is that AWV's European affiliate was Telefunken and designs of European origin were based on Telefunken specs. This was the case for EL36/6CM5, for example. I also have a few 12" 78's produced in Australia by AWA (the parent company) with Telefunken branding.

They also rebranded some parts from Western Europe, I have 5 EL34's that are labeled "AWV Made in Western Germany".

NOS AWV production valves are still very common here and in New Zealand.

AWV also produced a regular magazine called Radiotronics, numerous articles of which ended up in the RDH. I have a few articles from it up on my website.

All,
It is worth following the links on thevoice's profile to his website. A couple of really good Radiotronics articles on Ultra Linear (by Fritz Langford-Smith of RDH fame) which show that 43% is not necessarily the best tapping point. It depends upon the tube.

Thanks to thevoice for hosting these.

Cheers,
Ian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.