• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

110v or 220v, how can you tell?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First off I am a newbie to tubes and electronics, so please forgive me for asking a stupid question... Got hooked a couple months back when I built a k-16ls kit, and decided I wanted more and bought a Chinese 6p3p tube amp from e-fay for about $250. I plugged it in and I can get barely any sound out of it. The vendor said it is set for 110, but I am thinking it was built for 220v.

So my questions are:

1. With out a schematic, how can you tell if the amplifer was made for for 110v for 220v.

2. Is there somewhere on the transformer I can take a measurement to find out what it was designed for.

Many Thanks,

fjmart134

An easy test would be to clip your multimeter leads on the heaters of one of the tubes. If the primaries of the power transformer are indeed 220v you will read half the appropriate heater voltage on your meter. I would also suggest avoiding performing any tests without the tubes installed where you may over voltage the power supply capacitors.

Of course use the appropriate safety precautions before turning any power on.

Is this your unit???
If it is, the specs say it is 220VAC only.
____________________________________________Rick......

Attachments

• sweet peach 6p3p.jpg
    sweet peach 6p3p.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 118
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.