• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Grounded power supply cord on a transformerless amp ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi again? Is it possible to put a grounded power supply cord on a transformerless amp ( 50C5, 35W4, 12AU6 ) provided it has an isolation transformer ?:confused:
BTW: What is the correct name for such an amp? I have heard "transformerless", "Line voltage", "voltage dividing"...??:rolleyes:

Attachments

• 0b9b_7.jpg
    0b9b_7.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 170
bereanbill said:
Hi again? Is it possible to put a grounded power supply cord on a transformerless amp ( 50C5, 35W4, 12AU6 ) provided it has an isolation transformer ?:confused:

It is, and an isolation xfmr is mandatory for such a circuit.

BTW: What is the correct name for such an amp? I have heard "transformerless", "Line voltage", "voltage dividing"...??:rolleyes:

Suicide box. :hot:

Re: Re: Grounded power supply cord on a transformerless amp ?

Miles Prower said:

It is, and an isolation xfmr is mandatory for such a circuit.

Suicide box. :hot:

Yeah...especially for harmonica players ! Scares the willies out of me when I see them advertsed on Feebay as harp amps. Gives a whole new meaning to the term "Hot Lips". With the isolation tranny and a grounded cord, are they reasonably safe? Some...especially this little Lindell I have...can put out a cool low-fi grind that is a useful recording tone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.