• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for 6.3V 1A ccs heater supply for dht

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
According to "common knowledge", constant current sounds better than constant voltage. I believe it has something to to with isolating the filament (which is a part of the signal chain) from the filament PSU. Half science, half voodoo I guess.

In the latest version of my 6B4G SET I use LCLCL-filtered filament supplies. The last "L" is an huge 112mH iron cored choke that serves the same purpose as an active CCS. Works very well!

Hi Circlo!

Unfortunately the answer is no, I never got it just right so I abandoned the project years ago. Some of those chokes are in my 6B4G filament PSU right now:)

Back to topic, here´s a voltage controlled current source (VCCS) that I find interesting:
http://techgraphix.bodewits.com/PDF/Electronisch/FilamentSupply.pdf

I have plans for using a beefed-up version of this circuit to feed a pair of 813 (10V @ 5A each)

Circlotron said:
Why would you want to use a ccs and therefore have the filament voltage indeterminate. Why would that be better than a fixed, regulated voltage source?

CCS also gives a soft start (this is possible with voltage sources too, but takes more parts) helping extend cathode life. Turning on a filament is the hardest thing you can do it it, damage being proportional to the cube of the inrush current. Ohms law takes care of the rest, heat being a function of current.

It would be possible to use a 6.3V 5A winding to provide 6.3VDC 1A CCS with a voltage doubler rectifier arrangement. Wasteful in terms of heat and capacitors, but well within the transformers capability.

Use a pair of Schottky diodes. Most other parts were picked from Apexjr, dropping resistors 1.5R 10w, capacitors axial 3,300uF 35V. Heatsinked lm317. Resistor on Vout pin is 1.2R 2W.

Attachments

• scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 365
Thanks to all for the help.

I like the simplicity of the chip regulators. Thanks tweeker for taking the time to draw a schematic. I recall doing one with LM317s (sans voltage doubler) a few years ago for a 201A filament supply and I had some trouble getting the correct voltage across one of the tubes. Anyone know of suitable pot for using in the current set position that would allow me a bit of adjustment?
Thanks again,
Marty

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.