• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Amp thinks it's a receiver ??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ya know...something tells me I know the answer to this, but it's buried back in the deep recesses of my mind...or what's left of it anyway !
One of my guitar amps...a Gregory MK X if that means anything to anyone...has this annoying habit. It thinks it's a receiver...TV or radio I'm not sure. I don't watch TV anymore...and it definitely ain't the Yankee game...but I digress. Anyway, it picks up stray signals from somewhere. None of my other amps does this...not even in the same spot. The building I live in is old with masonry walls at least a foot thick ..hard to believe TV would penetrate. Any ideas? When I shut it down it seems like the signal gets stronger ??? :confused: :xeye: :cannotbe: :whazzat:

A very common value is 68K to the grid, and 1M from the input jack to ground. Of course a common way to boost gain is to cut these resistors' value...I've done it a couple of times. Can't remember if I did with this guy...I'll have to open it up and look. So will a larger value help correct this, Ray?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
I don't see how reducing the value of a grid stopper is going to increase the gain except, maybe, at high frequencies because of Miller.

I would expect 68k to be easily enough to stop any radio signals picked up by the guitar.

Other sources are possible, such as the speaker leads (if there's global NFB), or the PS (unlikely).

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2004
There may possibly be a voltage divider using a 68k resistor, but this is different. It is connected exactly as a stopper should be, i.e. between the upper end of the grid leak resistor and the grid pin. It does not attenuate at low to middle frequencies, but it may well do so at higher frequencies because of the tube's input capacitance (Cgk + Cga x gain (=Miller)).

It serves the dual purposes of preventing parasitic oscillations and acting, together with the tube's input capacitance, as a high-frequency filter to block RF, such is bereanbill has been describing.

In the two-jack input configuration, the typical old Fender input circuit used the jack cutout contacts to control those resistors. There was a 68k from each jack to the input grid. In the high gain jack, the two wound up in parallel for a 34k resistance as a stopper. If you plugged into the #2 jack, then the two resistors became a divider, cutting signal level in half.

This is an extremely common input jack configuration in guitar amps.

Another reason guitar amps turn into radio receivers is when the ground at the input jack has no integrity. SOmetimes backing off the mounting hardware on the input jack then retightening allows the toothed washer to find a fresh contact surface.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.