How can a resistor "sound" good? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st June 2009, 10:29 PM   #21
duekfx is offline duekfx  Hungary
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to duekfx
If I'm not mistaken, the production of Riken Ohm resistors has also stopped.
Old 2nd June 2009, 12:46 AM   #22
adason is offline adason  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Just curious, it's the first time I've heard that resistors can effect the sound...
here is nice article: http://gabevee.tripod.com/resist.html
Old 2nd June 2009, 04:35 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

this has been pretty informative, thanks for more than answering my question guys !
Old 2nd June 2009, 05:10 PM   #24
Banned

Default Yr link did not mention L+C+R nature of a resistor.

Quote:
Originally posted by adason

here is nice article: http://gabevee.tripod.com/resist.html
The link did not mention the crucial L+C+R nature of a realworld resistor which forms a complex AC network for the complex dynamic music signal to go thru. IMO, it is how the music signals act on the AC network that actually form the sound "colouration" rather than simply the noise characteristics of a resistor as per the link.

c-J
Old 2nd June 2009, 05:43 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default Re: How can a resistor "sound" good?

Quote:
Originally posted by oldmanStrat
Just curious, it's the first time I've heard that resistors can effect the sound...

You must be really new

Been using selected resistors in all "good" audio projects since '85 when i first heard Shinkoh tantalums. Probably not the most cost effective way to optimise sound but once you have exhausted everything else and don't care much about cost...
Old 2nd June 2009, 06:45 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Anyone remember Holco resistors?
Built a preamp or amp using only that brand of resistors and you'll definitely "hear' what that resistor really sounds like.
Indeed. One of my first ever projects was to build a couple versions Nuuk's buffer. It is basically 3 transistors and a handful of resistors. I build one with Holcos, one with PRPs, one with Kiwames, and one that was a mix. The Holco version was unlistenably shrill. The PRP + Kiwame was quite nice, and is still in regular use by a friend.

Quote:
Originally posted by oldmanStrat
this has been pretty informative, thanks for more than answering my question guys !
Its kind of an odd question, really. It seems like the better questions would be how could a resistor not change the sound? That is, is it possible to build a perfect resistor? Clearly it isn't.
Old 2nd June 2009, 08:23 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dsavitsk

The Holco version was unlistenably shrill.

And the Kiwame version unlistenably dull and sugary?
Old 2nd June 2009, 08:56 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: How can a resistor "sound" good?

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa

You must be really new

Been using selected resistors in all "good" audio projects since '85 when i first heard Shinkoh tantalums. Probably not the most cost effective way to optimise sound but once you have exhausted everything else and don't care much about cost...
ha - no, gettin' old actually. More to the point I'm a long time digital engineer - where a resistor is a resistor, and a cap a cap. (and men are men lol)

I haven't stepped over to the crazy dark side of the world of analog until just recently...

I should change my sig to "I have to pay WHAT for a cap?"
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:00 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Stick with metal films rated for more power than needed, and select high tolerance resistors, so they will have lesser tempco and it's influence.
Old 2nd June 2009, 09:45 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Yr link did not mention L+C+R nature of a resistor.

Quote:
Originally posted by cheap-Jack

The link did not mention the crucial L+C+R nature of a realworld resistor which forms a complex AC network for the complex dynamic music signal to go thru. IMO, it is how the music signals act on the AC network that actually form the sound "colouration" rather than simply the noise characteristics of a resistor as per the link.

c-J

hey-Hey!!!,
So it is the parasitic quantities that are responsible for sonic performance? Now I've applied shunt capacitance to plate loads for a few experiments, and it takes a lot of capacitance to be audible...far more than what any normal resistor will have.
cheers,
Douglas

Hide this!Advertise here!