• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Newcomb el84 amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hello people,

with little knowledge i thought i'd throw this link up to a photo i took of the schematic to an old pseudo-pa my father gave me. I removed the turntable portion of the funbox and use the inputs for amplifying my computer music and my JVC QL-F4 turntable. As you can see from the schematic, i have freed up a 115 volt power source by removing the turntable.

Newcomb TR-1640M is the make/model. It came with a matching pair of speakers which i also love, it's a very rugged little unit with a sort of wooden suitcase cabinet design.

I have 2 requests/questions:

1. I realize that this is a mono amp, but does anyone tell what the class and output wattage would be for an amplifier of this design?

2. (this one is more fun) suggestions for use that freed up 115 volt power source?

I really like this thing, I have always wanted some tube gear and it is fortuitous that it came to me; being the only piece of tube equipment that i can afford to own at the moment (free!)

below is a link to some photos of the schematic. I can provide more photos of the unit if needed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35114660@N02/

Thanks for any input my DIY audio friends!

Regards,
Brian

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Yours is push-pull, i've only seen single ended versions (i have a single EL84SE here). Can you post a photo?

It is topologically the same as a Dynaco SCA35. If you just use the Aux input you can pull the 12AX7 (phono preamp) and the 12AV5 (mic pre) and reduce the load on the power transformer a bit,

dave

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Re: thanks

Element138 said:
i've been using the internal phono input for the turntable, and using "mike 2" for the computer. Is the recommendation that i pull out some of the preamp tubes?

No, I wouldn't do that as it would change the operating voltages of some of the remaining stages. I'd leave it as is. You're basically using it in a manner close to what was originally intended.

Edit: I'm not at all sure the phono eq is correct, the schematic is pretty hard to make out. I would probably use an external phono pre-amp or modify the existing circuit for proper RIAA. The unused mic stage will contribute no noise as long as its gain control is turned down all the way.

the speakers sound great too. not sure what the reason for that is; but in terms of bass response, they are not super-mega-deep or boomy but have such a warm, even bass tone. for the music i've been listening to lately they produce such a nice sound, good mids, the highs are delicate and modest. as you can see there is a fullrange 12" driver with a cone tweeter run in line with the woofer. so pleasant! And rugged!, i don't fear dragging one of the speakers out to my porch, this is actually a benefit of forcing mono, only need one speaker for both channels. Also, neatly wrapped on 2 brackets inside each speaker cabinet is some 30-40 odd feet of wire. so these guys can comfortably stretch where i want them without moving the amp. I know the setup is very base and not a highly acclaimed brand but it is in (no exageration) perfect condition with polished but vintage Mullard el84s...Me Likey! I can't listen to enough music through this rig, and that is what it's all about, right?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.