• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Russian tube equivelants

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok...my curiosity has been sufficiently piqued to look into
Russian tube variants. Anyone point me to a comprehensive croos match so I know what the heck I'm looking at? I think some I am checking out are 6H9C...a supposed 6SL7 cross. I have seen some Russian tubes being sold on Feebay that purport to be close, but with a different pinout...not sure I want to go into that unless it's for a new project. Any help....yadda yadda...:eek:

I have a fairly extensive pdf I can send you.

I must admit that I am mostly in the dark about Russian tube numbers. Please email me a copy of your list.

If you want to make it public, I can put it on my web site if you want.

I have seen some Russian tubes being sold on Feebay that purport to be close, but with a different pinout

I have found out that many of those Ebay ads that claim to be "close" "similar" or "equivalent" are pure BS. Some don't even have the same number of pins.

I got some EL84 "equivalents" that have glowing screen grids in a Simple P-P. I got some other tubes from a different Ebay seller that have the same Cyrillic number on them that work well in the same amp. We have all seen all sorts of tubes sold as 6L6GC's too. Some can take serious abuse, some will melt!

tubelab.com said:

I have found out that many of those Ebay ads that claim to be "close" "similar" or "equivalent" are pure BS. Some don't even have the same number of pins.

I bought one of those cheap push pull "6AQ5" Chinese amplifiers off Ebay.

I can't say I was real happy to find out that Russian and Chinese "6AQ5" have 9 pins.

Win W5JAG

w5jag said:

Ditto 6N3P, their advertised "equivalent" to 5670 / 2C51. Pinout is completely different.

That little Chinese amp also taught me that incompatibility the hard way.

Win W5JAG

I've thought about this a little, and it seems like it may not have been pinout, but some other physical incompatibility between all of the 5670's I own, and the 6N3P sockets in that little amp.

Win W5JAG

Many auction titles that mention "XYZ compatibles" were really meant to say that the tube on sale performs very similar to tube XYZ while not neccessarily having the same pinout. An example of such tube would be 6N2P, a replacement for 6.3V heater wired ECC83/12AX7. It is not fully compatible though (its heater is hardwired in parallel). Some other tubes not only differ in exact pinout but also have different basing (9-pin noval instead of 7-pin mini for example).

So do remember to always check the datasheet ;)

I had a quick look at the abovementioned PDF and it seems to be accurate for all russian tube types I could remember off the top of my head - it doesn't even list said "semi-compatibles" such as 6N2P/ECC83.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.