• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Another question about russian tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, hello everyone!

All know ussr/russian made tubes, such as 6P14P**, 6P3S-E, 6N*V-** tubes. Also i can say this about capacitors, K40/42, Teflon, SSG.

For example - on ebay i list 6F12P tube many times, but sell it once. On my webstore usually sell about 50 in mounth...

But now i need to encrease tubes assortment in my store, and want to know, what international tube fans think about other russian tubes. For example:
6P15P-**
6J*P
6N23P
and other, other, other.
Subminiature amplifer tubes 1j*** series?

Also, if in tubes order you received few "new tubes"?

And really interesting question for me: what tubes you want to see in sale, but can't, or really hard to find it?

Once again - sorry for my english, but i know, that it better, than your russian )

Thanks for your time, Oleg, www.ussr-tubes.com

Oleg;
that 6F12P I bought have variations of parameters as wide as barn gates, so I had to invent a servo to keep them stable in my amps. 6P3S tubes are almost all too gassy, so I switched to GU-50.
Drop me a message about 6F12P, may be I will buy some more.
Also, 30P1S look interesting, but again they may be very gassy for NOS Russian tubes.

Anatoliy

Hi Oleg

At the moment I am happy playing around with the cheap as dirt 6N1P, 6N6P, GU50's, 6E6P's and other 'small tubes'. Besides I still have some other russian tubes that need to be put to use: 6C33C, 6J52P, 6F12P, GM70, 6S4S, etc...

Still, I am curious about two tubes of which I have only seen datasheets which show, as far as I know, specs that have not been achieved by 'western tubes'. These tubes are the 12C42C, which is something like 2x 6C33C in parallel (120V anode, 1A, 120W plate dissipation) curves here The other tube is the 6P38P, a pentode with transconductance reaching the 70mA/V figure. Both are most certainly beast to put to use and I doubt if I will ever need their 'specs', still the curiosity about them remains (maybe I should start my own private museum)

Regards, Erik

specs that have not been achieved by 'western tubes'. These tubes are the 12C42C, which is something like 2x 6C33C in parallel

Check out the 7241 and 7242. They are slightly smaller than an 813 and use the same socket. The 7242, Plate current 900 mA, plate voltage up to 400 volts, dissipation 100 watts. The 7241, plate current 1.2 amps. I have seen a few of these , but could not afford to but them ($50 to $100 each).

Hi Oleg,

I am not sure that I am answering your question - I am not sure whether you are referring to tubes that are in production or tubes that we would like to see in production. If you are referring to the latter, I would love to see a Russian 845 tube. NOS 845's are basically unobtainable at any sort of reasonable price and the Chinese versions are only produced intermittently.

The 845's are quite a popular tube and I am sure there would be a market for them, esp a decent metal plate version ;) .

Thanks for the interesting thread.

Regards,

Rob

Tubelab

You forgot to quote my first words 'as far as I know' :)

I had a look at both tubes and they do, indeed, look very interesting: there is even a thread where a greek guy asks how to use them, which leads to two members discussing which one can do the 'proper disposal' better :)

Cheers, Erik

You forgot to quote my first words 'as far as I know'

Yes, I made the assumption that since the thread is short most readers have already read it all. There is always someone out there that has seen the odball tubes that were made in small quantities, or made for a special application, and never saw a large circulation.

I make it a point to dig through the "tubes for $1" boxes at hamfests just to find these rare tubes. I also go to ESRC's warehouse (4 million tubes) and dig through their junk. I discovered the 7242 in a $1 box at a hamfest, but the one that I saw had a crack in the glass. I have since looked for them but since it is for experimental purposes, I won't pay $50 each for them. I have seen some really cool big tubes that would probably make a killer audio amp, but there is no point in designing an amp for a tube you can't get.

I have also found a 6080 (an industrial 6AS7) with big fat graphite plates. This one cost me $3 but works good. I have yet to find any more.

I was at the Dayton hamfest (the largest in the world) a few weeks ago and I turned up some sweep tubes that I remembered from my past so I grabbed a few unboxed, untested ones for $1 each. I looked it up in a tube manual and discovered a rather large peak plate current rating (for a 1950's vintage tube), so I decided that I would look for some more. I was at the ESRC table looking at some NOS examples of said tube when a customer walked up and purchased them. He said that he was using them for OTL's. I guess that I need to investigate these further!

I have 20 6P1P-EVs on hand, 16 6N2P-EVs, and 10 6N1P-EVs on order.

I'm working on an amp using 6N1P-EVs as inputs, 6N2P-EVs as drivers and 6P1Ps as PP outputs with Hammond 1609 transformers. I have enough 6P1P-EVs for the outputs to find out just how far I can drive them. It should make for a nice amp for efficient speakers.

It will probably be several months (if not next year) before I finish the project.

Steven

I am an owner of more than 2000 Soviet tubes of many brands and I just cannot agree that they sound bad. I can give a lot of examples when they behave better than their Western analogues of the same class.
Moreover they are desirable audiophile models without any analog.
I agree with Anatoliy, there are not bad tubes, but wrong constructions.
The low cost for me is only an advantage.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.