• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

How do these curves look?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
So I've stumbled upon a DHT with some good initial specs and don't want to say anything and make the price skyrocket. Here is a picture of the plate curves.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Max Vp = 1000
Max Pd = 65 watts
Max Ip = 155 Ma
Max Ig = 25 Ma
Mu = 25
Gm = 6500

Anything stand out that makes this tube not suitable for SE? Plots and loadlines aren't really my thing so I'm wondering how you get a rough idea of the Rp? Thanks.

Here is the typical operation for class B audio and C RF.

rating1.gif

rating2.gif

dowdylama said:
Have you experimented with them Douglas?

Jim

Hi Jim,
Besides lighting them up and confirming the shape and location of the grid=0V line, not yet. I have been considering a MI-9355 sort of amp for them, perhaps even with a clone of the original input TX. 14k a-a with a 1kV B+ should load them nicely. I have not decided on making it a stand-alone or if it should have its driver amp on board.

They're competing with a half-lit 304TL power final...the higher mu is nice, but at the expense of higher plate Z. But if running horns well above cut off, the high output Z( v. the 152TL ) would not be the issue it is with air suspension and bass reflex, eh?
cheers,
Douglas

Bandersnatch said:

Nickel running red? I've seen Moly specified to run red, as well as graphite( sometimes ), and Tantalum run to yellow-orange. Can Ni take the heat?
cheers,
Douglas

No problem. I can run my GU-50 red, then adjust bias back, and measure still the same curves. :D
Transmitting tubes, especially for military mobile transmitters were supposed to run on an edge. I once saw a manual for a military transmitter that suggested to de-tune antenna to decrease transmitting range, until anodes got red. :D
However, it is a nickel alloy, not pure nickel, designed by Telefunken for Luftwaffe transmitters (LS-50 tubes).

Anytime anyone with the name VARGAS responds to an inquiry with respect to curves, one's ears [sic] have to perk up, particularly those of us who perused our bachelor-uncle's Esquire in the 1950's!

Gee, Jack Thanks man! I see your .02 worth of useless input is as good as mine. Just because I dont post regulary doesnt mean I dont what a tube curve is, or how to use one. The comment was refering to the $10.00 dollars that it would take to acquire some HY51A tubes from Vacuumtubes.net. But because you are so much more educated then some of us, I will be sure to direct any question I have to you my friend! Cheers

Vargas said:

Gee, Jack Thanks man! I see your .02 worth of useless input is as good as mine. Just because I dont post regulary doesnt mean I dont what a tube curve is, or how to use one. The comment was refering to the $10.00 dollars that it would take to acquire some HY51A tubes from Vacuumtubes.net. But because you are so much more educated then some of us, I will be sure to direct any question I have to you my friend! Cheers

I just hope that you know what a Vargas drawing is, in particular, a curvaceous Vargas drawing. Vargas was Esquire's pre-eminent artist. I will not post for fear of being sin-binned again. Perhaps you didn't get the reference.

Mirthfully yours in song and always cranky, I remain sincerely...thankfully our barber shop always hides the men's magazines on Saturday mornings...

I never thought it of that way! My thinking was always on the lines of a tribute to Alberto Vargas, the man behind the curvaceous beauty. Sorry for straying off topic. And no, you dont have to put the mens magazines away! Crap......that didn't sound right either did it. Cheers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.