Installing bleeding resistors - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2009, 08:34 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Installing bleeding resistors

How do I put bleeding resistors to drain out stored voltage before working on an amp ? I always drain from the plates of the outputs anyway...and leave it hooked up to prevent the caps from regaining their memory..LOL. Having resistors would keep me from having to reposition the clip wire when working.
Also...where can I find info on a bench isolation tranny? Thanks again for all of your advice so far....you guys are great !!!
Old 25th May 2009, 09:40 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default easy fix

I always put a 200k bleeder (or thereabouts...) from the power live side of the supply caps to earth. In a CRCRC chain, I put it on the FIRST cap - the others will bleed back through it, and it doesn't impact the voltage of the final output cap this way. Takes a minute to bleed out, but its ALWAYS there, so you never get a nasty "reminder" ! In my latest amp, I put an LED in the bleed circuit as well, giving a visual indicator that the thing is still very much LIVE!!!! When the LED is no longer glowing, its safe to go inside...
Old 25th May 2009, 09:54 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

To Aardvarkash10...the resistor on the power side to ground doesn't affect the circut during operation ? Also, can you explain to me how you added the LED...sounds like a great innovation !
Old 25th May 2009, 10:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I always permanently solder a bleeder resistor to each filter capacitor.
This prevents there from ever being a misunderstanding as to the
charge level and avoids the dangerous spark-out method.

330K/3W works well for up to about 800V. These ones have a 1000V
DC rating.

GS3-100-3303-JLF

http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...vN%2fvezPVc%3d

The multiple bleeders provide redundancy in case one fails or is disconnected.

Michael
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bleeders.jpg (61.4 KB, 235 views)
Old 25th May 2009, 10:53 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default like this...

scruffy diagram, but hopefully you get the gist...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf diagram.pdf (27.6 KB, 122 views)
Old 26th May 2009, 12:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

To Michael Koster: Hey, been a while...thanks for the pic. My Mutated 5C3 is a great amp...especially for a first build. I call it "The Severed Head"
To AArdvarkash10: Yeah, I got it...you have the bleeder after the first cap but before the first dropping resistor. I only need that one or one at each cap. ( You drew the exact scenario that I am addressing, BTW . Maybe we're the Cosican Brothers..LOL).

Hide this!Advertise here!