Capacitor Comparison Conundrum - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th May 2009, 04:46 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Talking Capacitor Comparison Conundrum

I have been buying dribs and drabs of various poly/film caps in order to do comparisons and am at a bit of an impasse. Among those I have tried are RIFA, Ero, Sprague 716, Mallory 150, and some blue ones whose brand name eludes me at this moment. To be quite honest, I don't hear much if any difference tonally...noise level is the only major distinction I can see (hear?). Is it the medium I am using...I am a guitarist so guitar amps are my main area of interest. Maybe "higher quality" caps with 5% and 10% tolerances are lost on the guitar's comparatively narrow frequency response range. Not a total loss though...it's a lot of fun ....
As always...thanks for coddling this toob-noob....
Old 27th May 2009, 01:45 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Capacitor Comparison Conundrum

Quote:
Originally posted by bereanbill
To be quite honest, I don't hear much if any difference tonally...
My very good friend,

Glad that your hearing is still normal! There have been quite a few articles on this either way, but notably a very well researched series of tests on all kinds of capacitors, by Cyril Bateman in 'Electronics World' August 2002 - about Dec. 2002.

I am constantly reminded of these very wise words by a Scottish expert on oils, when as a young engineer I asked a rather academic question: "Laddie, ya shouldna listen to all the old wives' tales ya hear." (Apologies for implied Scottish accent, which I just love!)

In audio, for normal coupling/bypass/filter duty one can do no better than polyester/polycarbonate items made by any renowned firm. Forget about boutique (exotic) types - unless you mount them up there, sufficiently lit for all to see the brand!
Old 27th May 2009, 01:56 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default To Johan

Thanks for the reaffirmation...after 35+ years of music and 27 years of construction noise, sometimes I wonder about my hearing. It seems like a lot of people build their opinion on that of "experts"...my friend Matt calls it "Massaging each other's pre-suppositions" (he gave me permission to use that BTW)
I must say that , in a recent SE build (mutated Fender Champ) I used some of those blue caps I mentioned in the early stages. I later changed them out for Mallory 150s and it seemed like the amp began to breath so to speak.
Thanks again...how about someone else chiming in ???
Old 27th May 2009, 02:02 AM   #4
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Massaging each other's pre-suppositions
Excellent turn of phrase. I will no doubt steal it.

There's just as much sociology (maybe more) as technology in high end audio. I've run across differences in coupling caps, but only when there was a pathology (e.g., a microphonic capacitor because of poor winding technique).
Old 27th May 2009, 02:05 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Hypnosis is rather a practical psychology than a sociology.
Old 27th May 2009, 02:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

massaging each other's pre-suppositions...it was originally used in a theological context, but it works in countless situations !!!

BTW: How do you do that quote thing??
Old 27th May 2009, 02:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bereanbill
massaging each other's pre-suppositions...

Quote:
Originally posted by Wavebourn
Hypnosis is rather a practical psychology than a sociology.

Gee - now I can go to bed with a smile on my face!!!
Old 27th May 2009, 02:53 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
BTW: How do you do that quote thing?? [/B]
By clicking the "Quote" tickbox on hte right hand bottom corner of the post you are quoting...
Old 27th May 2009, 03:44 PM   #9
m6tt is offline m6tt  United States
diyAudio Member

Find two random people, keep them isolated.

Take a product, say a candybar. Remove label, etc. Tell person A that it cost you $500 and was designed in a CAD program for astronauts. French chefs and Swiss candymakers worked together to maximize the flavor.

Tell person B you found it under the couch, or in the candy machine down the hall.

I'd bet at least $1.75 that person A likes it better
Old 27th May 2009, 05:10 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default From capacitors to candybars

Hey..I think I've had candybar A...not only did it taste better, but it was extremely transparent and had a great sounstage too !!!GREAT analogy..another example of "massaging each other's pre-suppositions, eh?"

Hide this!Advertise here!