Rectifier swap out? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2009, 02:50 PM   #1
losacco is offline losacco  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Rectifier swap out?

Well I have the wrong power transformer for my line stage, wrong rectifier voltage. Instead of spending $70 more on another trans., I would rather use a GZ34. My question is, is this a simple swap for the 6CA4 or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks
Old 24th May 2009, 04:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

You will need a 5V heater supply and an octal socket for the GZ34:

6CA4 has a small 9 pin base and uses 6.3V to heat.

So no, it's not a simple swap.

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...035/5/5AR4.pdf

http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/f...127/6/6CA4.pdf

Jeff
Old 24th May 2009, 04:49 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

You would probably get about the same voltage with the 5AR4 anyway. If you have the five volts for the filament and room for an octal socket you could try the 5R4, probably drop 20 to 30 volts in a line stage depending on current draw. Other possibilities would be a 5Y3 or 5V4. Good luck.

Charlie
Old 24th May 2009, 04:54 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

If by "wrong" power transformer you mean you got a 5 volt, 2 amp winding (instead of the 6.3 volt, 1 amp winding required for an EZ81 rectifier) then switching to the GZ34 rectifier should be a relatively simple task. You'll need an octal socket for the GZ34. Also be aware the equivalent series resistance of the GZ34 is noticeably lower than the EZ81, so you will end up with less voltage drop across it (equals higher B+ voltages). I might be tempted to just stick higher valued power resistors in the R stages of the supply filter to compensate.

Hide this!Advertise here!