• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

E80CC aikido

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Due I have a lot of Mullard and Philips SQ E80CC I wish to use these tubes with Aikido pre. Is a goog idea to use 4 E80CC or should I use them only on input and 12BH7 on output tube?

Which are the resistances value to change to use E80CC? I did not find anything on tubecad.com, only that they can be mounted and nothing else.

4 E80CC's would work great in an Aikido line amp. The gain of the Aikido is 1/2 the mu of the input tube, so for the E80CC, roughly 27/2=13.5.

It really depends on how much gain you need; a gain of 13.5 is reasonable for a line stage.

I would start with the R values for the 12AU7 or 6085 and experiment from there, or hopefully one of the experts here will chime in. The Tubecad site may also have the formula/equation(s) needed to calculate the R values, so I would do a search over there (I'm just guessing on this).

My 2 minute web search on the E80CC also mentioned that it pulls more heater current than a 12AU7 so make sure you can supply the heater current. The E80CC also has lower distortion than a 12AU7 so I would try 4x E80CC as well as the combo with the 12BH7 (or some other tubes) and let your ears be the judge.

Piero

The E80CC is a wonderful tube. John Broskie does not have enough of them, you could offer him some :D

I own some old Studer fader modules, all based on E80CC (and, of course, output trannies). Willy Studer or one (some?) of his engineers seems to know about the advantages of this tubes!

Some kind of overshot, to use such a fine low distortion tube in a circuit like the Aikido, wich cancels the distortion of tubes. Isn't it?

Here some fotos of the fader modules (please note the conventional rotary potentiometer and the fine ball bearing based mechanics converting the linear movement to rotation, working still perfect after more than 50 years!).

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Franz

/Edit

Here the circuit of this module, a line driver module:

I am sorry, Piero

My hobby is not translating but Audio.

Please understand.

But it is easy: simple unique words, easily translatable by a translating machine.

Should you not succeed with some words, just drop me a mail and I translate for you, no problem.

Kind regards
Franz

Piero

Another very fine circuit, using a E80CC: Studer 52. A EL84 PP power amp.

The circuit has a kind of Mullard front end, DC coupled.

And a powerstage with cathode feedback over the output trannie.

Look here for the original schematics.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119189&highlight=

BTW: http://www.roehrentechnik.de/html/gegentakt.html reproduced the output trannie for me (in a 8 Ohm secondary version), based on the original "Bauvorschrift" (the type is 53.1S52).

But with double chamber and better and bigger iron...

My reproduction of this amp is not finished yet :rolleyes

Franz:

Piero

The E80CC is a wonderful tube. John Broskie does not have enough of them, you could offer him some :D

I own some old Studer fader modules, all based on E80CC (and, of course, output trannies). Willy Studer or one (some?) of his engineers seems to know about the advantages of this tubes!

Some kind of overshot, to use such a fine low distortion tube in a circuit like the Aikido, wich cancels the distortion of tubes. Isn't it?

Here some fotos of the fader modules (please note the conventional rotary potentiometer and the fine ball bearing based mechanics converting the linear movement to rotation, working still perfect after more than 50 years!).

Franz

/Edit

Here the circuit of this module, a line driver module:

All your links are dead.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.