• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

which kit to build - first kit ever

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am considering building a tube amp after having great results with my first set of DIY speakers. Here are my choices:
1. Dynaco ST35 kit - well documented amp.
2. 16ls with upgraded transformers and caps.
3. KT77 from diyaudioprojects.
I am planning to use Sowter TVC as a preamp. I will also place the power supply in a separate enclosure, perhaps set up dual power supplies.
Pleas comment, better to learn through some one elses experience.
Thanks
Salsero

That is good news about the speaker sensitivity, It opens up lots of possibilities. I have speakers around 92dB and I am currently using a Tubelab Simple SE. There have been lots of builds of this amp, so a great deal of support from both the designer (www.tubelab.com) and from forum members. Not too sure how long you want to wait, but there is also a Simple PP in the pipeline too.

A couple of observations which might be of interest...

The K16LS is very much a bare bones kit, albeit a great learning package. I have built two, one with the 'preamp' 5670 triode option, and the other with the tone control option. Both sound very good for the money, but really only after replacing the original OPT's - on one set with redundant chinese iron from an upgraded Amplifier, and on the other with Hammond 1645's.

To use the amplifier in a domestic setting also requires a dedicated chassis, plus all the associated bits and pieces - phono sockets, speaker binding posts, mains and fuse connectors etc. Cost starts to add up.... Need to plan where to put the support screws, drill holes etc, etc - more hassle...

For a first time project I would seriously contemplate spending a bit more and going for a complete package - components, chassis, the works. I have recently built a fabulous ST-70 kit ( from Triode electronics, but there are a number of other vendors). Very, very good indeed - $700 well spent. I don't know how good the ST-35 you mention is, but the ST-70 rocks ! And all the bits actually fit together (say no more).

My two cents...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.