which kit to build - first kit ever - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2009, 10:08 PM   #1
Salsero is offline Salsero  United States
diyAudio Member

Default which kit to build - first kit ever

I am considering building a tube amp after having great results with my first set of DIY speakers. Here are my choices:
1. Dynaco ST35 kit - well documented amp.
2. 16ls with upgraded transformers and caps.
3. KT77 from diyaudioprojects.
I am planning to use Sowter TVC as a preamp. I will also place the power supply in a separate enclosure, perhaps set up dual power supplies.
Pleas comment, better to learn through some one elses experience.
Thanks
Salsero
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:30 PM   #2
chrish is online now chrish  Australia
diyAudio Member

If you let is know what set of speakers you built, we then have an idea of the required power. That will help determine a design...
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:39 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default speakers for amp

I have two sets of speakers. B&W CDM7se and a DIY TriTrix - my most recent adventure. I wish I would have gone into DIY sooner.
Old 22nd May 2009, 10:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

OK, what we need to know is how efficient the speakers are to determine how much power is required to drive them.
Old 22nd May 2009, 11:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

They are 90db/w/m+ (less than 93 db for sure), it does not take much to move them. The implementation of a TVC is to make use of the initial low wattage since TVCs are supposed to bring the volume up evenly.
Old 23rd May 2009, 12:36 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

forgot to state, my speakers impedance is 8ohms.
Old 23rd May 2009, 03:43 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

That is good news about the speaker sensitivity, It opens up lots of possibilities. I have speakers around 92dB and I am currently using a Tubelab Simple SE. There have been lots of builds of this amp, so a great deal of support from both the designer (www.tubelab.com) and from forum members. Not too sure how long you want to wait, but there is also a Simple PP in the pipeline too.
Old 24th May 2009, 04:50 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

A couple of observations which might be of interest...

The K16LS is very much a bare bones kit, albeit a great learning package. I have built two, one with the 'preamp' 5670 triode option, and the other with the tone control option. Both sound very good for the money, but really only after replacing the original OPT's - on one set with redundant chinese iron from an upgraded Amplifier, and on the other with Hammond 1645's.

To use the amplifier in a domestic setting also requires a dedicated chassis, plus all the associated bits and pieces - phono sockets, speaker binding posts, mains and fuse connectors etc. Cost starts to add up.... Need to plan where to put the support screws, drill holes etc, etc - more hassle...

For a first time project I would seriously contemplate spending a bit more and going for a complete package - components, chassis, the works. I have recently built a fabulous ST-70 kit ( from Triode electronics, but there are a number of other vendors). Very, very good indeed - $700 well spent. I don't know how good the ST-35 you mention is, but the ST-70 rocks ! And all the bits actually fit together (say no more).

My two cents...

Hide this!Advertise here!