Looks like a promising SE build ?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2009, 11:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Looks like a promising SE build ??

Ok...in my search for a cool higher powered SE build...anyone who's followed my post ... I found this schemo. A couple questions from those of you more knowledgeable then I am. ( That's pretty much EVERYONE...)
1- Where would I insert volume and tone controls...single tone is good...
2- What would the PT need to be rated at ?
3- Any way to eliminate the 2 chokes...or are they pretty commonly available?
As always, thanks in advance...and thanks for all previous help...
Attached Images
File Type: gif 15wtubeamplifier.gif (10.5 KB, 404 views)
Old 21st May 2009, 11:36 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Something is missing around the grid of EL34.
Old 21st May 2009, 11:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Something...as in what ? Being a fairly novice hobby-type, I need some help from those more familiar with the design aspect.
BTW...Wavebourn, you've been busy today...
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Question Huh ?

After looking closer at this amp I am very confused. The 845 is a transmitting tube, Right...so what's going on in this amp ? Is the EL34 driving the 845 ??? Where is the rectifier...or power supply for that matter ???
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:16 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Such amps are made to work with the minimal power loss, so output resistance of one stage should match input resistance of another one.
This is the essence of such a straightforward approach. However, some global feedback looks odd here, but it won't hurt. It improves a damping factor, and minimizes distortions that grow with power so loud chords would intermodulate less.

Triodes to work need filament power, B+, and a grid bias. Resistor in cathode is for a bias purpose: when current flows through the tube it creates a voltage drop on the resistor, so if the tube's grid is grounded by DC it sees a negative bias in respect to cathode.
Also, this resistor provides a negative feedback by current, so when tubes consumes more current a voltage drop on the cathode bias resistor increases, and vice verse.

Now, can you tell what is missing? Look at the first stage and compare, if you still don't understand after my explanation...
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:16 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default uuuum, not to belittle you or anything, but

that is one incredibly expensive and (not to put too fine a point on it...) dangerous build for a self-proclaimed novice. 800v operating points are invariably intolerant of unsure hands... Are you sure that you may not be a bit out of your depth here?
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:40 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

If the grid is negative in respect to the cathode, won't that result in cutoff ?
Expensive is the one word that will keep me from trying his design. I have worked on a couple of Musicman guitar amps that have a B= near the 845, but maybe I'll nix this one. I'm looking for something simpler. The search goes on...
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:22 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bereanbill
If the grid is negative in respect to the cathode, won't that result in cutoff ?
Thank you.

Forget about this amp, it is dangerous! It may kill
Old 22nd May 2009, 01:38 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Good advice, that...think I'll take it !!!
BTW...any suggestions for a higher powered SE amp ? Something suitable or adaptable for as aguitar amp?
Old 22nd May 2009, 02:47 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bereanbill

BTW...any suggestions for a higher powered SE amp ? Something suitable or adaptable for as aguitar amp?
Asymmetrical logarithmic amp (one opamp, 3 diodes) driving a very powerful PP amp.

Hide this!Advertise here!