6L6 AB1 Push-Pull - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st May 2009, 12:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6L6 AB1 Push-Pull

Hi all,

First post in quite a while. I've been looking more into tube amps of late, specifically for use as a bass guitar amplifier. After doing some research, I would like to go for a design using 6L6s, in a push pull AB1 configuration, but am having trouble finding any designs. I've searched the internet, as well as these forums the past few days trying to find a design, bad have com up with nothing.

I was looking at using just the pair first up, with the possibility of going up to two pairs. I believe one pair in PP AB1 would give me power in the ballpark of 100wrms, is that correct?

Nic.
Old 21st May 2009, 12:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The specs say that you can get 55 watts from a pair of 6L6GC tubes. That's pushing them pretty hard. You'll need four tubes to achieve 100 watts.
Old 21st May 2009, 10:22 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

A couple of designs pop into my head right away. The Supro Thunderbolt 6420 and the Fender Bassman 5E6...and maybe the late 1950s Ampeg Bassamp Model 826. The Ampeg used EL37s, but switching to 6L6s would be easy. Two sites that you may want to check out: www.schematicheaven.com and www.freeinfosociety.com. HUNDREDS of guitar and bass amps there. Have fun !
BTW...Fender is routinely getting 60 watts from 2-6L6s in their Hot Rod Devilles and Blues Deville.
Afterthought..the Ampeg V4B gets 60 watts from a pair of 7027s...also very easy to switch to 6l6s.

Hide this!Advertise here!