Experience with AnTek OPTs? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2010, 02:10 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

I've been listening to a pair of Antek AT-0358's strapped to the PMillett DCPP "red board". I've tried it on big Tannoy HPD's and my Audio Nirvana horns. The lower frequencies are all there and seem tight. Midrange is good too. I can't comment about the high frequencies yet where I've had a bit of a head cold lately, and I need to try another pair of speakers first.

More later. Hopefully my scope will be able to share some insight about what is going on.
Old 7th May 2010, 05:40 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

OK. I just compared the AT-0358's to my Marantz 8b. There is definitely some serious roll off of high frequencies. Very noticeable. Just a subjective observation though.
Old 7th May 2010, 07:03 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelabrat View Post
OK. I just compared the AT-0358's to my Marantz 8b. There is definitely some serious roll off of high frequencies. Very noticeable. Just a subjective observation though.
Can you measure frequency response with dummy load (wire-wound 50W resistor), with ARTA or RMAA software for example? In this case its possible to distinguish personal sonic impressions from engineering data.
Old 7th May 2010, 07:14 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by torrence View Post
Hi,
I am looking for something to handle up to 20W in PP and I can't possibly afford Plitron.
Thanks
I'm assume Plitron transformers are good (I even bought a book written by Menno van der Veen, designer of Plitron trafos).
HOWEVER, lowest frequency (from datasheet) 0.8Hz is certainly valid only for very little output power (probably 1W). IMHO price 300 EURO/pc is nothing but crazy. Real cost price of these items (manufactured in China or India) is about $30/pc, ordered in qty of 300+ pcs or 1000 kg.

Unfortunately, buying small qty of high-quality audio output transformer for affordable and reasonable amount of money is a problem I have not solved till today.

Last edited by LinuksGuru; 7th May 2010 at 07:23 PM.
Old 7th May 2010, 08:25 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Has anybody tried the Mars transformers here?

http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/main.php?cat_id=112

There are a range of power/LF response options depending on how much you are willing to spend. They have shiny chrome end bells if you are into that sort of thing...
Old 7th May 2010, 09:26 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Has anybody tried the Mars transformers here?
http://www.vt4c.com/shop/program/main.php?cat_id=112
There are a range of power/LF response options depending on how much you are willing to spend. They have shiny chrome end bells if you are into that sort of thing...

Just checked. LM-9904U 75W RMS transformer 92 x 82 x 99H listed for $82 - this core is just enough for 40 - 45 W.
If you load them with only 40 - 45W they possibly will work fine.

Last edited by LinuksGuru; 7th May 2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old 7th May 2010, 09:41 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuksGuru View Post
Just checked. LM-9904U 75W RMS transformer 92 x 82 x 99H listed for $82 - this core is just enough for 40 - 45 W.
If you load them with only 40 - 45W they possibly will work fine.
Exactly. But how do they sound/perform?
Old 7th May 2010, 09:56 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Exactly. But how do they sound/perform?
I have no idea. Please start a new thread asking for feedback for these particular vendor's trafos. Quite possible someone already used them.
Old 8th May 2010, 02:03 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

PPP EL34's with around a 2000 ohm load and UL operation usually like about a 33% tap, similar to Hafler's transformers. On the other hand, a 2000 ohm load and 40% tap is just about perfect for PPP 6550s if the transformer can handle it.

Dave
Old 8th May 2010, 03:03 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

I'll need to whoop up an attenuator for the probe so I don't smoke my soundcard. Any suggested circuits? I'll test it on the computer's integrated sound chip before I do it on my Emu 1212m.

I'm somewhat doubtful of my own listening so I'd like to confirm what I'm hearing with some numbers too.

Hide this!Advertise here!