Which EL34 tubes for Hi Fi - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2009, 10:16 PM   #21
WE91 is offline WE91  Norway
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for your fine contribution to a discussion on the quality of current production EL34's!
I wish more people asked for "NOS quality" in new production tubes! I hope a thread like this will be able to bring a bit more conciousness and selectiveness as to what quality we demand of our tubes, be it EL34's or other popular power pentodes or tetrodes. Triodes as the WE300B, 2A3, PX25 and the 45 has seen some makers come forward with "exciting offers" (sadly also at a too high price). Here's hoping for a revival of the NOS high quality EL34 (at humane prices)!!!

I believe in what you say, Panikos.
I think ALL who test ANY current production tube MUST test it against a reference NOS tube, such as NOS Genalex Kt77, Mullard EL34 or other highly acclaimed NOS !!!
If this became the norm for the condition of MOST (ALL?) tests, then something would have to happen ...
We are (sadly) too happy with what we are offered. We offer almost no claims to quality and are at the total mercy of what ever some maker choose to do, - and we are gullible too it seems. Just look at me and my belief that the "reissues" actually are what they claim to be ... They must be tested against their claimed reference by us, the consumers, and not just by some distributor wanting to sell ... (although the tubestore's test (referred to earlier) seem to offer some clues we might believe, but this test - as all others - are in dire need of a refrence NOS tube to be compared to).

To attempt a rating of current high quality EL34's, may look like this (please do comment):
1) Gold Lion Genalex KT77 reissue
2) NOS Siemens EL34
3) SED "winged C" EL34
... The others ...

Hi, Marcelinho.
Here's what you ask for. I found it at TDSL duncan amps:datasheet
Will look at what info Borderpatrol has for this. I see that 5881 often are mentioned as a 6L6 equivalent ... How good is it supposed to be? What is it compared to?
Old 20th May 2009, 11:01 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

It is my belief that taking NOS Mullards or Telefunkens as references,they are a nice point to compare new production tubes with.Having done this in my search for my preferable EL84,I have ended with the Ei Elites.Doing the same with other types of tubes I believe will be productive for all of us.No need to buy those "references",perhaps borrow from a friend for a while.
Old 20th May 2009, 11:07 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

I have the JJ E34Ls and I really prefer the sound of my 6l6gcs. I found the e34ls to lack in the bass department.
Old 20th May 2009, 11:14 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Many of us have been in front of this dilema That was I believe one of the reasons why I now spent more time with my EL84 amp.With the exception of a little less power,to me they sound like the perfect mingle of EL34 & 6L6GC.
Old 21st May 2009, 02:02 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

My choice is ...
* I have now just bought one matched quad of NOS Siemens EL34's
(Thank you for your nice help Panicos K )
* - and also one matched quad of NOS EI-6CA7 fat bottle ...
The Siemens at Langrex and the EI at Etols ...

- All in all totalling a bit more than for a quad of reissue Gold Lion Genalex KT77 ... But - now I can really (rock)n'ROLL

Please continue to contribute to this thread, if you will. It is very nice to have such a thread like this for all those searching for the best EL34 !!! Let's be selective and concious!

Thank you all very much for having contributed to this thread

Best Regards Aril
Old 21st May 2009, 02:09 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcelinho
A dutch repair guy rebrands softek 5881wxt as el34 and speaks highly of them.

Does anybody have the sovtek 5881wxt spec-sheet? I can't find it on their website.
The basing appears different (from what I expected), but the internals share some similarity. I'd wager the specifications look something like this:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st May 2009, 07:49 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Hi again :-)

I bought my two sets of EL34's based on advice in this thread, but also on the members review at other sites.

Thought I should share this with you
Langrex are selling NOS Siemens EL34's at/near e-bay-going rate nowadays for these tubes (a tad cheaper) at 120 (about 200 USD at Angela Instruments).

I found a quad of NOS Sylvania fat bottle 6CA7 for sale on e-bay and was researching it a bit, when I saw a very favourable comparison of the EI fat bottle 6CA7's to the Sylvania's on Audiogon. I found that other comments about these tubes elsewhere were confirming this. At Etols the price are fair for an EI 6CA7 at 13,6USD each. In other places prices seem to be going up (e-bay: a matched quad=219USD) because these have been long out of production.

My old Svetlanas are halfway through their life and my reissue Mullard (Sensor) are relatively new. As I said before; now I can ROLL and have fun ...

Best Regards Aril
Old 23rd May 2009, 12:47 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Hi again ...

When I get all the tubes and get my Hi Fi up and going (I've been an addicted DIY loudspeakerbuilder for some time), I'll be reporting my humble findings when comparing my EL34's (old Svetlana, Mullard New Sensor reissue, EI 6CA7 and NOS Siemens) on this site/in this thread and also adding my impressions of switching between different NOS small signal tubes in the JH50 and how this impact on my findings regarding the EL34's ...
(got different top NOS small signal tubes on their way too).
I do not know when this comparison will happen, as my loudspeakers always are in some state of changing (between projects) - always developing ...

To sum up "the list" (in a sort of ranked form):
* On a shared top position: The reissue Genalex KT77 and NOS Siemens (these KT77 close to the NOS KT77 in sound, the Siemens more "tight" sounding).
* On a shared second: SED "winged C" EL34 (a bit "forward" in upper midrange, but very resolving and tight. Good imaging, like old Svetlana). NOS EI (fat bottle) 6CA7's (tone, details close to or better (some says) than NOS Sylvania 6CA7 - based on reports on Audiogon and other).
* Electro Harmonix (fat bottle) 6CA7 (these are good, but how good? Thus ranking these are a bit unfair)
* Valve Art EL34 (same comment as for EH)

Thank you for your contribution

Best Regards Aril
Old 23rd May 2009, 02:02 PM   #29
ja2dhc is offline ja2dhc  Japan
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to ja2dhc Send a message via MSN to ja2dhc Send a message via Yahoo to ja2dhc
Quote:
Originally posted by WE91
To attempt a rating of current high quality EL34's, may look like this (please do comment):
1) Gold Lion Genalex KT77 reissue
2) NOS Siemens EL34
3) SED "winged C" EL34
... The others ...
I have only Shugang and SED "Wing C". The cathode temperature of
"Wing C" looks lower than Shugang's since the color of cathode surface
looks dark. I suspect this low temperature is intentionally designed to
lower the G1 temperature. In general, temperature of G1 in EL34 is high,
so big heatsink is affixed at the top of pillar of G1. High temperature of
G1 causes bad behavior such as grid emission. In addition, G1 of "Wing C"
is gold plated to minimize grid emission. I believe such a low temperature
design for G1 contributes to good sonic.

In fact. AES says "With a gold-plated molybdenum alloy grid and
carbon-coated screen grid, the EL34 is the finest power tube of its
type being manufactured today." as is described in the below URL.

http://www.tubesandmore.com/scripts/...=00003_WINGEDC
Old 25th May 2009, 04:39 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Small update: Got mail from Etols (Belgium firm). Their EI 6CA7's are sadly sold out! They were listed as "in stock" but I guess that's changed by now! Sorry! Another nicec tube is "unavailable" to us then ...
I found this at Audiogon, that may make me want a quad of the EH 6CA7's: Here

Hide this!Advertise here!