Volume pot for simple se - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th May 2009, 10:48 AM   #1
newtube is offline newtube  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Volume pot for simple se

Guys, i have a cheap 100k volume pot on my simple se and i need to upgrade it, it is very cheap and nasty, it even squeaks when its turned

What would you go for? 50k or 100k?
Log or lineer?

Do they have any affect on sound? i guess they do?

Thanks guys,
Darran.
Old 18th May 2009, 11:42 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

2 -10 kohm !!
/If the middle pin of 100 k is on down side - low volume - 5-10 kohm,
input signal across from the up side - 90 kohm, and there is big resistance
for MF and HF for input signal, and small input current doesn't enouht
for input capac. of input tube, and there is decrease of HF/ /sorry for bad English!/.
Projects: OTL-OCL 6AS7 Gen. Electric, SEs 2A3 RCA, 300B JJ, 6S4S, 4P1L, EL11 Telefunken, 6AS7 RCA, 6S33S, 6S41S, 6S19P, E84L Siemens, E236L Telefunken, headphone ampl. OTL Loftin White 6AS7 RCA,... PPs 6005 Gen. Electric, EL34 Mullard, 6L6....
Old 18th May 2009, 12:42 PM   #3
timpert is offline timpert  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The PEC (Precision Electronic Components) KK series have a pretty good rep soundwise. I have one, and it is of proper construction, you won't break this thing easily. Their website is http://www.precisionelectronics.com/. I bought mine from Digi-key. You 'd probably be best served with a logarithmic potmeter that has a value between 10k and 50k.
Old 18th May 2009, 04:24 PM   #4
n_maher is offline n_maher  United States
diyAudio Member

I was originally going to use the PEC pot mentioned above for my Simple but in a wonderfully boneheaded maneuver I didn't leave quite enough space for it (missed it by >< much) so I ended up using an Alps RK27 pot. Seems to be working just fine. Of course knowing now just how sweet this amp sounds I might have sprung for something a bit nicer. I recently saw that Headamp (a manufacturer of solid state and electrostatic headphone amplifiers) started offering some of the parts that they use for sale to the DIY community. I've used the DACT attenuators that he sells and they are superb and the RCA jacks are also very nice. The parts are listed here and I received my last order from him (RCAs) in a matter of days.
Old 18th May 2009, 08:57 PM   #5
newtube is offline newtube  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by n_maher
I was originally going to use the PEC pot mentioned above for my Simple but in a wonderfully boneheaded maneuver I didn't leave quite enough space for it (missed it by >< much) so I ended up using an Alps RK27 pot. Seems to be working just fine. Of course knowing now just how sweet this amp sounds I might have sprung for something a bit nicer. I recently saw that Headamp (a manufacturer of solid state and electrostatic headphone amplifiers) started offering some of the parts that they use for sale to the DIY community. I've used the DACT attenuators that he sells and they are superb and the RCA jacks are also very nice. The parts are listed here and I received my last order from him (RCAs) in a matter of days.
Man, thats an ****!
You fitted something better than i have though, looks like a nice pot you did squeeze in though, certainly better than i have at the moment!

Thanks for the pointers guys, upgrade is on its way.
Old 19th May 2009, 03:34 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Alps RK40 Black Beauty

Check out familygate on eBay - they still have some 50K and 100K linera taper pots for sale - much better than the RK27 blue dudes......
Old 19th May 2009, 04:08 AM   #7
n_maher is offline n_maher  United States
diyAudio Member

Linear pot = no thanks. I still have an audio/log taper RK40 in my parts drawer, I'm sure I'll use it some day.
Old 19th May 2009, 04:34 AM   #8
Apex Jr is offline Apex Jr  United States
diyAudio Member

PM Sent

Steve @ Apex Jr.

Hide this!Advertise here!