• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Greatest circuit ever (or weirdest)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Anatoly (if I am not mistaken, there must also be an 'i' somewhere in there, but I don't know where...)

Thanks for the explanation! About 170V... My first thought was a rectified and filtered (with a source follower) insulation transformer, but on second thought it would be 'hard' to get 170VDC out of 120VAC. So I don't know... or maybe actual output voltage in the US is closer to 130VAC, which would allow for about 170VDC.

Erik

I see that you also ask about the garter bias. I think Michael is referring to this.

ErikdeBest said:
Hi Anatoly (if I am not mistaken, there must also be an 'i' somewhere in there, but I don't know where...)

Thanks for the explanation! About 170V... My first thought was a rectified and filtered (with a source follower) insulation transformer, but on second thought it would be 'hard' to get 170VDC out of 120VAC. So I don't know... or maybe actual output voltage in the US is closer to 130VAC, which would allow for about 170VDC.

Isolation transformers give a nominal voltage under a specified load. Actually, they show 10% more.

Now, do you already know what to make an output tranny from? ;)

Most certainly another mains transformer. I did some calculations, but don't know if they are right:

Thinking about it I would say that the maximum peak to peak voltage on the primary can be 340V. This occurs when one plate is at double B+, consequently the other should be at 0V (??). That is about 120V RMS. On the load side: to get 300W into 8R one needs about 50V RMS (50V*50V/8R)... so the ratio primary secondary is about 2.4, and the impedance ratio is 6... the primary impedance would than be ~50 ohms???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.