Tube choices for Simple SE? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2009, 08:19 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Considering the available B+, I still think a nice pair of vintage 6L6-GA would be the tube I would use.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th May 2009, 08:50 PM   #12
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
Ah...good point on the transformer, Ty. Yeah, I wouldn't push it too much then with the big tubes. I think you should look at EL34s or some good 6V6GTs that can handle high, out-of-spec plate voltages. Some guitar amps are like this and generally destroy cheap current-production stuff. Things are better now, but the only tube I know for sure can handle it is the EH 6V6GT. The Russian "Tung-Sol" should also be fine, probably because it is the same frickin tube.

You should be able to bias either of those as hot as you dare on that transformer.
Old 13th May 2009, 08:50 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Tou guys are a huge help

Yes, the lower power Allied, I really didn't pay enough attention to the tubes I'd be running, D'OH!

I have a tranny with 560, 720 and 840CTs but only 100mA; no headroom at all. Even under-biased, I like the sound well enough to invest in a bigger transformer.

One more thing: how come there's no resistor in place of the volume pot when wiring w/o?
Old 13th May 2009, 09:00 PM   #14
rknize is offline rknize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to rknize Send a message via Yahoo to rknize
The PCB already has grid leak (R11,21) and grid stopper (R12,22) resistors and doesn't depend on the pot for either of those.
Old 14th May 2009, 03:01 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

I just ordered the bigger Allied power tranny as I solved the tube imbalance problem. It was the effin' PEC volume pot. This is the 4th of 4 PECs I've had go bad; either noisy or way out of balance or both.

You'd think you could trust Canadians for quality It's really a shame too, because they sound so good when right. It's back to TKD and another $40 bucks for me.
Old 14th May 2009, 11:09 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

If you have any 6V6 tubes give them a try. They sound real nice in triode with a 5K to 6K load. You only get about 2 watts so that may not go to far if you have inefficient speakers. I have a Simple SE with the small Allied. I have fed it 6V6's 6K6's and abunch more that I don't remember right now (I am 1100 miles away from home).

The 6K56VG is rated for 120 mA on 50Hz and is probably good for about 140 to 150 mA on 60Hz. I have one in a Tubelab SE, which I often stuff with 300B's biased at 60 mA each. That sucks about 170 mA from the transformer. Yes it gets real toasty, but it has been alive for about 5 years now. It is actually the only Hammond / Allied transformer that I have ever had to replace due to failure. The original got full of water in a hurricane, and it still worked for about a month before it fried.
Old 18th May 2009, 05:35 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

It's all sordid out now with 431vDC plate and 450vDC output, 41 volts bias; all with a Boogie Woogie Mullard 5AR4, Telefunken 12AT7 (a Paramour leftover) and the Svetlana 6550s.

The PEC pot is gone; the Simple is now a main amplifier, fed by a passive pre with my last remaining 100K PEC and a Greyhill switch. Other components are HW-19 IV with SAMA, dampered SME III/Benz Ace Low or Marantz 8001 SACD and Pi 4 speakers with the new crossover.

Compared to my parafed, direct-coupled, SE'd 45 amp with Magnequest chokes, OPTs and other goodies for a total of about $1200 in parts, the $300 Simple has a warmer tone and weightier bass.

The 45 does nuance better but the 3X more powerful Simple unravels the complex a mite clearer.

The 45 goes higher and reveals more, both beauty and warts in the upper treble; you should hear Emma Kirkby thrill the high notes in Haydns "With verdure clad". Who says compression drivers don't go high? OTOH, Alison Krauss is never shrill with the Simple.

There's also a bit more needle-in-da-groove noise so perhaps the Transcendars have a peak or three or maybe it's the 6550s.

Now I have two fine amplifiers. Life's a b-tch? Says who?

Hide this!Advertise here!