• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

"Designing tube preamplifier" article

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear Zoran,

it is quite obvious why they did not publish it, and I am quite perplexed that it is not obvious to you?!

1. The text is too complicated, long, and vague for a DIY magazine (any DIY magazine), although it could be just good enough for a thesis, provided it has the other qualities required: that it is NEW and NEEDED.

2. The text is too "altisonante" for mere DIYers, the author is looking down on them (they do not like that, and "gurus" as a rule never do that).

3. With all due respect, your otherwise good colloquial English is not up to the task of writing an article for a magazine... it is obvious from the first few lines.

I did not read it all, actually, because:
1) I do not have the time;
2) I do not need being lectured;
3) I tried but missed the point... I wanted to see what my fellow Serb was building, but it is buried too deep in the text.

Regards,
Alex

Hi,
Thanks
It is a quite "old" article, that I dig recently... concern the topic on local forum.
So, some of You could be in right to note on things that could be better.
For instance, I can complain that the content and first page is missing.
Among other things.
I went through the just to check the "tone", and the style, and that coud be improved too. Maybe it is because my english is from primary school and I do not have much chance to practice. The text, in first, should be translated to italian, so i do not leave the article to someone who is more compentent, to recheck and make correctoions.
I will ask my friend ,a good writer who is doing much translations too, to take a look.
Anyway, I wrote this, in first, like much shorter form,
just to fit in some zine format... But after while, I discovered that the issue is just "bigger" than 2-3 pages.
(That is why the people invent the P.D.F. :) )
I did not want just another simple article, which does recover not at all, and with just claims without offering, some explanation. Just with schematic only, frequently with wrong calculated values, and questionable conceptions...
I didn't invent something new, just extract from the literature and personal experiance,
the issues that I consider like base, and where diy people exactly repeating the same mistakes. Just like me in the beguining of my life with tubes.
At least I did some PSpice modeling, and perform some mathlab, and mathcad sheets
which coud be of use?
I am an artist, finished Academy of art in Belgrade, (Where now I am teaching drawing, painting and media), but some how I am familliar with maths and software, because I finished Mathematic gymnasium in Belgrade, for programming, maths and physics...
Your responds really motivate me to rearange the article...
Do not hesitate to give the oppinion, + or - ...
:D

1) To rearrange the article, you should cut it very, very, short... and leave out most of the lecturing. We are talking about a DIY magazine, not a textbook.

2) Make shure your friend is a scientific/technical translator, not a books and articles translator. Not one of the kind that translates "integrated circuit" as "movement in circles" and "magnetic field" as "magnetic meadow"... you probably know what I mean in our language, Serbian. The translator has to be knowledgeable of electronics, actually have some electronics education. Beware, Italians like to laugh at those who have poor command of their knowledge but write articles :)

3) Tanti saluti, Zoran! Ti auguro successo!

PS
I do not know whether to feel sorry that you are teaching art instead of electronics, or to feel sorry that you had to endure all that math for nothing? Anyway, it is possible only in Serbia.

But, it is not diy zine, article anymore...
I said that it wasn't from the moment I realised that the topic is just harder.
Actuallu the text is not so big when you put it in 3 colunms form, with slightly,
smaller pictures, it is maybe like 6-8 pages, which is common for the good zines,
and dividing to parts is way we often saw in publishing...
So that was not the problem, maybe it is hard for me to say, but I think that I broke the
time dead lines...
eventually, it could be of use for zine purpose, to perform just some parts,
maybe i dont know..?
I aggree with You that more care should be taken to the technical expressions,
even just to check...
It is more like desk top publishing, net based article, for me.
Aleks, please, as I said, it is not some unknown things presented,
I am not inventor, or something, and I do not have intension to be like You
said Guru or such.
So it is not lecturing at all, but if You are take like it is, I cant go against it, really.
I wroted down some references.
cheers

And
Alex if I can say,
The syntax and other errors
could be corrected,
BUT
The bad attitude, and basic psyhology of personality
I am afraid, could not be corrected, in same way
Yes, Belgrade, in Serbia is the place I am living
just like anybody else living somewhere,
I do not see what is to do with, about the topic on this
public forum...
I am afraid that You is the one who is giving a lecture
cheers

As we dutchies say 'Zachte heelmeesters maken stinkende wonden' so:

Really sorry but this whole article or whatever one calls it is crap.

The assumptions you make, the way you hand it out as the gospel and
lace them with either wrong or pointless topology's. Establishing your
own standards for levels and the 'electromagnetic garbage from the ether'
joke....

'All of the heat transformer units should be placed under the chasses' ? Yeah sure ;)

'overloading input of the amplifier, supplying amplifier input with a opposite phase,
coloring the signal with a cables reactive load and shorting the bandwidth from the
booth sides via wrong potentiometer
' Say what?

We should leave the tube filaments to “rest”, go read tubecad and the likes
and I guess you should go back to drawing, painting and media :D

Really sorry but this whole article or whatever one calls it is crap. The assumptions you make, the way you hand it out as the gospel and lace them with either wrong or pointless topology's.

Thank you Westerp for taking the time to read (I just cannot read such texts and live with it). :)

This is basically what I smelled from the first few lines, but did not want to be the first to point out.

I am afraid that You is the one who is giving a lecture

Yes only to those whose feet are not touching the ground (as we Serbs say "koji su nabeđeni"). Sorry, but that's the way it is. And that is why it never got published.

I haven't had the time to fully read through it just yet, but I will. I did glace through it though and it seemed like it would be worth my read, although it is a tad long. The one thing I saw I was wondering about was picture 21 (I think) where you show a 6SN7 coupled to a 801. Is the elaborate hum cancellation on the 6SN7 heater really necessary? I mean I have never had a problem with AC heater hum on indirectly heated tubes with just a small value cap across them (sometimes) and a very small dropping resistor. Like I said though, I will give it a deeper read, thanks for posting.

Cheers

James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.