• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Impedance question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi. I'm having trouble finding information on impedance for the circuit in the schematic I have attached. I understand the low source/ high load impedance rule. But I am not sure the pre gain volume pot affects the output impedance from the op amp.

The output impedance from the op amp is 55ohms. By using a 500k pot, does that change the source impedance from a low to high? The cathode follower stage has a very high impedance load, but I don't know if this high enough if the pot raises the source impedance.

Should I use a 10k volume pot instead? That would be over 10x the source and less the 10x the load.

Thanks
Scott

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 189
Well I had a 10k pot on hand so I tried it and I like it. This is a guitar amp and the notes opened up with the 10k compared to the 500k. The fundamental notes seem the same but you can hear much more of the harmonics now. The sound seems more complex then before and the signal volume does not seem to have changed. Very nice.

Now I have to look over the rest of the schematic to see if I have any other questionable impedance areas.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.