• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Tube Amp / Pre-amp kit?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm kind of new to Tubes. Really interested, just kind of new. Does anyone know a website or a place I can buy a tube amp / pre-amp kit for a fair amount? Preferably something cheap. I just want to try to understand how they work with a hands-on approach.

S-5 kit

The S-5 kit k-16ls is the cheapest and easiest kit around. It comes with everything needed to assemble a working tube amp with a tone control/preamp option that is recommended. Tons of mods on this site and lots of levels in the learning curve from novice to expert. Spare and replacement parts are also cheap if by chance you drop a tube, or reverse pol a cap ;:)bigeyes: . Mine is playing blue grass music through a set of old PhazeTech 10" towers. It sounded so good I built another as a gift for my brother.

Re: S-5 kit

damilkman81 said:
The S-5 kit k-16ls is the cheapest and easiest kit around. It comes with everything needed to assemble a working tube amp with a tone control/preamp option that is recommended. Tons of mods on this site and lots of levels in the learning curve from novice to expert. Spare and replacement parts are also cheap if by chance you drop a tube, or reverse pol a cap ;:)bigeyes: . Mine is playing blue grass music through a set of old PhazeTech 10" towers. It sounded so good I built another as a gift for my brother.

Thanks. Any link for this kit? I'm interested.

s-5 K-16LS Push Pull tube amp kit

There are better kits than the K-16LS but we don't all have a couple grand to spend on a "starter kit" and more power to those who do. It seems to be the most flexible and most written about kit next to the Dynaclone ST-70. This kit can be up and running one evening if you have had any circuit board experience. It comes with US made GE tubes and is a push/pull design. I recommend some high efficiency speakers (4ohm 91db or better). Check out S-5 here- http://www.s5electronics.com/thome.html

I hope this helps,

Attachments

• sd530031.jpg
    sd530031.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 164
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.