Help with schematic understanding - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2009, 03:52 PM   #1
sumo is offline sumo  Japan
diyAudio Member

Default Help with schematic understanding

Hi, recently I've been looking for a 2A3 based SE amp to build and I have come across this page:

http://www2u.biglobe.ne.jp/~tossie/YZ-2A3-J.html
(This guy has a LOT of amp designs with schematics and pictures. Delete the "YZ-2A3-J.html" from the link. Worth a look! )

Its in Japanese but the schematic is pretty clear and there's a close up of the innards which helps a lot but, I am unsure about one thing

In the schematic there is a connection from one of the 6.3v filament wires from the transformer to between a 39k and 100k resistor. Its marked 65v. This is the first time I have seen this and I was wondering if anyone knows what it might be for? Some kind of bias?? Now I'm a bit a noob still so this might be a bit of a stupid question but I'd really appreciate some of your knowledge

Thanks!
Old 30th April 2009, 04:10 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Looks like they are elevating the 6.3V supply for the IDHT to a positive 65V DC. Having a positive heater with respect to the cathode keeps noise down.
Old 30th April 2009, 05:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

It also keeps the Vh-k rating of the driver tube from being violated. You might want to go to the TDSL and see what that rating is for the 6C8G. I'm not familiar with the tube.

I disagree strongly with the way this is implemented here. I don't like to attach it to only one side of the heaters, as we can get a hummy circuit this way. If there's a center tap on the 6.3v winding, attach it there. If there's not, use a pair of splitter resistors to attach it to both sides of the heater line, as see:

Click the image to open in full size.

Aloha,

Poinz
AudioTropic
Old 1st May 2009, 05:21 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help guys
That helped a bit. But what is Vh-k ? Its not in all the spec sheets. Is it Plate voltage? Or voltage between the heater and plate or something?
Old 1st May 2009, 05:30 PM   #5
pointy is offline pointy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

it may mean the directly heated cathode (see image)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capture.jpg (10.4 KB, 114 views)
Old 1st May 2009, 05:35 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sumo
Thanks for the help guys
That helped a bit. But what is Vh-k ? Its not in all the spec sheets. Is it Plate voltage? Or voltage between the heater and plate or something?
It's the maximum allowable voltage between heater and cathode. It is in every full datasheet, just not necessarily identified as Vhk. V could be a U, k could be c, and so on.
Old 2nd May 2009, 11:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Aha! Thanks for that! Now it makes a bit more sense

Hide this!Advertise here!