• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Diodes to protect OT's..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Common as dirt on guitar amps.

Most are wired diode cathode to plate, diode anode to ground. One diode for SE, one on each side for PP.

Use a fast recovery type rated at LEAST twice the supply voltage and preferably four times. 3A is a good current (larger diode area is more forgiving).

Cheers!

Sorry for slow responce.
I am wanting to protect my OT's from whatever happens when a output tube goes bad, runaway, blowup, melts internaly, etc..Rectifier going to the bad, me hitting something I should not when probing hot, etc. If I could see a schematic for decent protection for voltage spikes , shorting , to much current, etc. for PP amps, & SE amps, with eather fixed or cathode bias. I would implement them in all my amps. I do have bad luck with output tubes & allways feel lucky when the OT's still work after words. I have read that fuses are not the answer & can be actually worse. I do not know as I am not at the level of knowing if true or not. I just can't imagine everyone with rarer than heck vintage OT or spendy new iron, not protecting them. I never see circuits implementing such protection. Maybe it is all for not & nothing to be conserned about..?
Joe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.