• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Line output transformer question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a tube mic preamp with a 12au7 SRPP output. I am planning to use a 1:1 turn ratio line out transformer. I feel that I should get one with 10K:10K impedence ratio, but will a 600:600 also OK for this application?

How is the impedence of a transformer determined? Thought it is determined by the actual load impedence, right?

pftrvlr said:
I am building a tube mic preamp with a 12au7 SRPP output. I am planning to use a 1:1 turn ratio line out transformer. I feel that I should get one with 10K:10K impedance ratio, but will a 600:600 also OK for this application?

How is the impedance of a transformer determined? Thought it is determined by the actual load impedance, right?

they are not the same, the 10k line traffo will handle substantialy more voltage than a 600 ohm one...ohm's law is right at work here..

while the two will have the same turns ratio, the 10k one will have about 4 more turns than the one turn of the 600ohm ones...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.