• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

ASL wave 8 monoblocks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I removed the "bell" or "end" caps from the output and power transformers.

That's a new one for me. Can anyone else comment on this? Does it fall into the "controversial tweak" category?

I know that the PSU caps in my amps were different values from what's shown in the schematic. Also, the schematic says 0.5W resistors for cathode bypass, but the ones used were quite a bit larger. So at least in this case, the actual amp was better than the schematic would indicate.

I haven't tried rotating the transformer because that would involve drilling new holes, and I don't want to hack into these amps too much so that I can have some hope of selling them.

The cathode bypass caps are 100uF electrolytes, I'll try adding bypass caps to them tomorrow.

As you may have read before, I advocate putting Bottlehead's C4S boards on the plate of the driver triode in these amps. I think they cost $35 a pair. You only need one pair. R1 on the boards will be around 3.3K, but measure your voltage before and after to be sure.

Oh, also I seem to recall the filaments are biased up -- they're routed to ground through 1K resistors that might not be on the schematic.

So far I can't get hum & buzz on these any lower than about 2 mv (shorted input and unloaded). I haven't put snubber caps on the filament bias resistors or the filament pins yet. I might try rectifying the filaments. The mnfr. told me there's enough current available on the filament winding.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.