6V6 Guitar Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2003, 02:19 AM   #1
SHiFTY is offline SHiFTY  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Talking 6V6 Guitar Amp

I have just been building a guitar amp for a friend (yay for paid work!)

It uses the chassis and transformers from an old PA amp, and tube complement is 2x 6V6, 3x 12AX7 and a 5U4.

The output stage is the simple, yet great sounding Fender 5E3 Deluxe as seen here
It is one of the classic blues amps, and still has a fair amount of clean headroom despite only having ~12W. The power tube distortion is nice and smooth, especially with the old RCA VT-107 tubes.

The preamp is a little more complex, I used a design with adjustable gain, so you can get preamp overdrive at low volume, and with a 3 band eq and line level out it is useful for recording to a computer etc. There is a "clean" input and a "dirty" input with an extra triode stage. Lots of versatility! Also it can add a bit of cool "analogue" feel to anything you put through it, say synths or what have you. Schematic

The input to the power amp is taken from the grid on the last triode stage of the preamp. There is still ample gain. With the preamp and the power amp driven into distortion, this thing is wild.

It looks a bit beat up and grungy, but that is what the guy wanted, I think it looks cool! There is also a cage which fits over the top. All it needs now are some classic knobs and a nice 12" 100dB guitar speaker!

A pic:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6v6-guitar.jpg (48.1 KB, 316 views)
Old 5th August 2003, 11:01 AM   #2
dB is offline dB  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Location: Wellington, best city in the world. Come here, I'll buy you a pint and show you around.
Send a message via ICQ to dB
Looks a bit rough and ready man, but very ominous. A bit like the death star really. Now there was a mechano set that could instill fear in the hearts of men.

You want some chunky knobs for it?
Old 5th August 2003, 02:10 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Cool. I've just been commissioned to make a couple of guitar amps. I'm breadboarding up a whole bunch of input channels and a couple of poweramps so we can play around with the sound to make exactly what he wants. The descriptions so far are too vague for me to know what he's looking for. He's doing all the cabinetry once the design is finalised.

The Fender poweramp you based your amp on looks like a classic hifi design w/o the NFB.

Hide this!Advertise here!