• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Best looking tube?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My favourite is 811. Nothing sexier than a ST-16.

Attachments

• 811.jpg
    811.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,262
All of the Bendix tubes have a distinct appearance.

5992 flouresces like crazy and sounds good.

829 and 832 are interesting looking - my wife keeps an 829 on the computer because she likes the way they look.

The brown base, cobalt blue, Tesla EL34's look great and sound good, maybe the best of that type.

Win W5JAG

This is absolute gold!

I'm sorry Sy, that 703a is the weirdest looking tube I have seen.

Some of the others however are pretty special. I had not really looked at the Emission Lab tubes before - they make an awesome looking tube - but the cost!!

So far I like the look of the Emission Labs 300b and some of their rectifier tubes. I could throw in a couple of 0B3's to regulate the bias voltage I guess.

The 205d is a beautiful tube but a quick search seemed to indicate that they are not produced now and the NOS versions look quite $$.

As for the triodes with the thoriated tungsten - love them of course but having just built an 845 I am going to go for something a little more subtle - I do love those gold mesh 300b's.....

Keep the suggestions coming.

Cheers,

Rob

nhuwar said:

Thats my next project for some plasma tweeters LOL,,,,, Really it is.

What's the dissipation on the 8078? It looks like something used for induction heating rf sources.

Nick

The 833A or better the 833C is a super tube for a self excited RF power oscillator to run plasma speakers. Here is a poor resolution shot of an 833A I had on the bench. I will follow with a better picture of the 22" discharge. This would have made quite low audio frequencies if a 500 watt plate modulator had been wired into the plate supply of the 833A.

Attachments

• 833magtc.jpg
    833magtc.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 1,249
radiosmuck , I have some of those stickers...bought them on ebay
I'm guessing the stickers were put on when manufactured. I purhased them almost 30 years ago when they had very little value and faking them would not have been worth it.
I think I paid $10 for 6 at a ham radio auction and I can remember breaking one.
Ripley might not believe it but it's true.

For envelope shape:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

100T

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

304TL

gu32.jpg

GU-32

4499.jpg

6C33 (probably the single biggest reason for this tube's popularity)

valves-04.jpg

7402 (upper right corner)

For glow:
0d3.jpg

Mercury vapor rectifiers

Audio-Power-Labs-833TNT-tube-amplifier-1.jpg

833/GU-48

75TL

275432748_640.jpg

IN-9 Argon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.