Tube heaven - or tube hell? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd April 2009, 05:00 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tube heaven - or tube hell?

I've recently run across a couple hundred used old tubes - all made in the US, by Sylvania, RCA, GE, Tung-sol etc.

Not knowing if any of them are of any use at all - I made a partial list. If you guys would do a quick scan and see if there is anything of "audio value" I would appreciate it.

These tubes are coming from the estate of my partners father. Any proceeds that he gets from selling them will go to his mother - who was hit particularly badly with the market crash...

Steve
Attached Files
File Type: txt tubes.txt (461 Bytes, 63 views)
Old 22nd April 2009, 05:26 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Well, there are some tubes on that list there that are commonly used in audio and hence have a value. such as:

6L6
6V6
5U4
6SN7
5Y3
6SJ7
12SN7
5R4
6AS7

Etc. I'm sure other tube fans will chime in.

The operating condition of these tubes is important. that can drastically change the value of a tube 10 fold. for example a rare 6SN7 a buyer my risk spending $5-10 on an unknown tube but if it was tested with its Gm values marked then that same tube could be worth $100 or more.

and tubes are a finicky market, not only is the particular type important, but the brand and particular characteristics or markings can radically swing its value.

I see things on eBay ads all the time "Rca Red lettering Black plate" or "Amperex D-getter" or "Silver top, or clear top" "black base, brown base, red base" etc....

What you have could be a goldmine, or a junk pile. taking some time to carefully research each tube will help sort out what is desirable and what isnt. eBay will give you an idea of where to start.
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks - there are so many tubes, and most of them are physically small and with markings that are barely visible... I have a feeling that a ton of them are junk.

There are some very big tubes - which I checked right away, but so far nothing I can personally use...
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:15 PM   #4
tomchr is offline tomchr  United States
diyAudio Member

If you are going the eBay route, you can always sell the whole bunch as a lot. List the more common audio types in the auction header and fire it off starting at 99 cents. I've seen larger lots of tubes go for hundreds of dollars that way. Depending on the amount of work and materials needed to package the tubes it may/may not be worth your time, though.

Hide this!Advertise here!