• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

MC prepre with submini tubes

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The most recent UHF mag (No. 86) has a review of the Allnic H-1200 phono pre which uses 6112 and 6021 twin triodes. There is a fairly good photo of the innards in the review.

It uses step-up trafos for the MC stage - probably to get 'round the noise issue.

They had some nice thigs to say, but my overall impression was that they were trying to find nice things to say. However it was not a disaster.

So, it can be done :xeye:

JesseG said:
It uses step-up trafos for the MC stage - probably to get 'round the noise issue.

So, it can be done :xeye:

The original question was could submins be use for an MC preamp. Since the stepup transformer is the MC amplification stage, then they're not really doing it.

I believe that a transformer is the only really neutral sounding device. I've had the oppotrunity to use several active MC preamps including the AR MC-33 as well as SS battery powered units. All the active units, to my ears, added their own color or flavor to the overall sound as compaired to a good transformer. By good I mean a transformer specifically made for very low level signals from a MC cartridge like Lundahl's or the Cotter I still use. Not UTC's. And I'm willing to sacrifice a tiny tiny bit of speed for the neutrality of a transformer.

Wouldn't touch nuvistors with a 12 foot mic boom!

They are too prone to oscillation. I used a AKG-Norelco C12 condenser microphone that used 7586 (I think). One mic howled right out of the box. The other one developed the same howl after about 50 hours. I used a Moviola-Magnasync dubber recorder that used the submin glass tubes with good success with long life. Ray

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.