• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Was There a Heathkit W-1M or WM?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I know the Heathkit Williamson W-3M very well. It was the first amplifier that I worked on as a young kid. It was old at the time - caps were probably getting old. This Heathkit version used 5881's, UL, and an Acrosound output transformer.

I found the W-2 Schematic on the net which also uses 5881s, is UL, but has a Peerless output transformer.

I'm working on what I think is a Heathkit, but with 807s, triode connected, and a Peerless OT without UL taps. Here's a picture:
http://baselaudiolabs.googlepages.com/Williamson3.JPG

Was there a version like this from Heathkit, an earlier Williamson? Confirmation or any more info would be appreciated.

Pete B.

Yes, I have that also. That seems to be the paper where 6L6 type tubes such as the 807 were tested in place of the original KT-66. The 6l6 types were not rated for the higher plate and screen voltage used in the Williamson. All the Heathkit Williamsons that I've mentioned use a 420-440V plate supply.

That paper does seem to be the basis for the one that I have triode connected rather than Ultra-Linear, and using 807s. I think this is a very early Heathkit implementation. That design seems to be one chassis, and uses more choke filtering. Other than that it is very close to this unit.

Thanks,
Pete B.

PB2 said:

I'm working on what I think is a Heathkit, but with 807s, triode connected, and a Peerless OT without UL taps. Here's a picture:
http://baselaudiolabs.googlepages.com/Williamson3.JPG

Was there a version like this from Heathkit, an earlier Williamson? Confirmation or any more info would be appreciated.

Pete B.
The Heathkit WA-A1 was reviewed in Audio Engineering of May 1952. It is a PP 807 in triode mode. The Peerless is a custom job. This design is essentially the same as the famous 'Musicians Friend' published in the 1949 Audio Engineering, designed by Sarser, a professional musician. Send a PM and I can send scans for you. You are lucky to have that!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.