• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6L6GC Options and Flavors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm thinking of buying some more 6L6GCs for experimentation purposes. Right now I have Svetlana (old or new?) with the gold stylized "S" logo on the glass and the cheap "unbreakable" Chinese tubes from AES. Are there some other decent ones around that won't break the bank (or my amp)? I expect them to run at least at 400V on the plate without becoming a light bulb... Basically, I'm looking for durability and good sonics (who isn't?).

The Electro Harmonix has a tough reputation in guitar amps, which usually put 450..480V or more on the screens, as well as anodes. Reliability record is good from what I can tell.

The Russian 6P3S-E, which has been made for ever and is sold today as Sovtek 5881 variants is also very tough, and should last for ages at 400V. sound may be a little less refined, but they're good value.

There are a lot of 6L6's out on the market right now that are good. Try a set of the Valve Art KT66's which are nice or some of those new production Tung Sol 6L6GC/STR's. I've used both of those in guitar amps recently with great results. Beauty is in the ear of the beholder and with a tube as common as the 6L6GC it's worth it to experiment and try many different things to find what you like best.

The tubes will be used in a hi-fi amp, not in a guitar context. I'm interested in 6L6GCs or similar that sound nice, don't self-destruct, and can take 400+ volts on the plate. I have some of the super 6BG6GAs that would fill the bill, but I'm looking for something without a plate cap this time around. Targeted application is partial feedback SE pentode amps and maybe something triode-connected.

First up is something based in a cursory fashion on the RH807 partial feedback amp using Edcor GXSE iron. I'd like to squeeze all the watts I can get out of an amp with the guts (including output transformers) in a 6" cube, tubes on top. I've built such an amp using 1625s configured in ultralinear mode (check my "Shrine" thread), but I want to go for some more watts this time.

I've ran the short bottle Tung Sol 6L6GC/STR well over 500 volts in triode without issue.

The Tung Sol 6L6G and SED 6L6GC have no problems at 400+ volts in triode.

The 6P3S (not-E) I have tend to runaway at voltages I consider modest (365 volts).

I have some JJ's, but haven't tried them yet.

I think the SED sounds best.

Win W5JAG

edit: Now that I think about, the Groove Tubes 6L6GC remake of the GE tube also works fine at 400+ volts and sounds very good.

My 6P3S-Es look to be maybe '72 date code. Around the logo and the diamond-shaped mil stamp I have X1 on one side, and 72 on the other.

As far as pairing sand with some tubes, I was thinking of a more lopsided lineup with one of the hotter video output pentodes and some P-channel mosfets, using some 1.6k One Electron transformers I have lying about.

The things I'm thinking of for right now will feature sand in minor supporting roles only...

Something that holds up in guitar amp use/tube abuse should do fine in a hi fi setup. Now how it sounds it another matter all together and that'll require some experimentation to find what YOU like best. I've used that new Russian TungSol 6L6STR at 450volts in a Super Reverb combo that I fixed up for a customer for some time now with excellent results. They seem to be reliable and non microphonic.

You can only do that if either (a) the tube takes grid current with the mosfet source-follower feeding its grid, or (b) the mosfet takes gate current, with a cathode follower feeding its gate. Which way round is it?

Mosfet takes voltage drop caused by cathode current on resistor.

That one works the best for me. Also possible, Bipolar transistor takes base current from tubes cathode. I tried both, but the mosfet measured and sounded better.

guys

Got a chance to pick some of these up cheaply from a local:

TOSHIBA 6L6/GC 1
GENERAL ELECTRIC 6L6-GC 1
HITACHI 6L6 GC 1

RAYTHEON 6V6 GTY 1
U.S.A. 6V6 GT 1
RAYTHEON 6V6GTA 1

Which ones would/wouldn't you recommend? (just for future projects, supply here is extremely limited)
(shame there are no pairs, I've already got one 6L6G GE).

I don't get it. I use 5881's in lieu of 6L6's and the former can take higher B+. It can't all be down to cost but do other members find 6L6's better than 5881's as they are essentially same plug-ins?
I know that 6L6's were made in greater quantity but is there another reason ?

richy

The valves sold today as 5881 are usually Reflektor 6P3S-E.

Originally, the 5881 was a Tung-Sol development aimed as an improvement on the 6L6G (not GC). The anode and screen ratings were upped to 400V, and anode dissipation increased to 23W. Stiffer internal structure makes a tougher valve.

The 6L6GC was introduced to further the improvement over 6L6G to 500V anode, 450V screen.

The 5881 specs are very similar to the proper Reflektor 6P3S-E, and I expect that is why the Sovtek branded items use that designation.

In the guitar amp world, the 5881/6P3S-E is known for tough and reliable service, even when its (voltage) specs are exceeded. And a relatively good price. But the sound is often regarded as less refined than the various versions of more expensive 6L6GC.

As for comparisons of NOS, I don't think there's enough 5881s left to make the discussion worth having.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.