• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Chinese Buffer Amp, Useful?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I run JPW P1s Through a Luxman L-435 Integrated using my computer as a source for CD, FLAC and (ahem...cough...shuffle feet)MP3. So I would like to get a nicer analogue feel to my sound and am looking at these tube buffer amps to place between my 'puter and amp. They are real cheap on Ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150338370061

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Valve-Buffer-...temQQimsxZ20090405?IMSfp=TL090405126003r11885

Even new I could get one for around $100 Oz dollars...even I can afford that but are these units worth playing with and is what I am trying to do even worth the effort. Am I just jumping on the tube bandwagon in a way that is not going to yield any better sound.

I would happilly pay up to $200 Oz for a kit that was going to be of superior quality, does anyone know of any? Could I mod the above with a better quality tube? Now we are talking...

I agree entirely, by the way...$2000 plus tube amps sound and look beautiful but I am a POOR bastard and mostly have to make do with what I find in hard rubbish. If I had $2000 dollars to burn I would happily leave my Luxman in hard rubbish for the next POOR bastard...Actually I wouldn't I love my Luxman.

Anyhoo thanks for your time...

unpredictable said:
So any opinions on how best to flavour my brown sea water? Is there any reason not to use a pre amp with an integrated amp? Phono stage?

It needs to be cleaned from salt before flavouring. You can't remove high order distortions adding low order ones, it is the myth about adding warmth by additional tube stages. You need to remove odd stages from the signal path. Don't trust sellers who sell pigments to turn a sea water into a coke.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.