• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Building a variac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll have to agree with Brett; there are many other things you can do in this hobby that would fill you with a greater sense of accomplishment for far less money and/or aggravation (custom winding an output transformer or building a line-level preamp both spring to mind).

Just in case nobody has mentioned it, try to attend a local hamfest. I've picked up 10 A variacs fused and in housings for as little as $5 - and I can assure you they're FAR safer and more reliable than anything you can build.

Thanks for the input. Winding trannies is on my accomplishment list, but I don't think I'm quite ready for it yet...baby steps first. I'm kind of a Rube Goldberg-type, so anything is gratifying to me. With the clunkers I have around, a variac will get quite a workout in my laboratory.

TubeMack said:
Any recomendations? I just picked up one as a part of a test equipment buy. It looks to be from the 30's,and the cord appears to have caught fire!:eek: I'm guessing I shoud just junk it. I'd like something newish and cheap.:D
If in doubt about it's safety, don't use it.
Variacs are on ebay all the time, new and used quite cheap.

TubeMack said:
Any recomendations? I just picked up one as a part of a test equipment buy. It looks to be from the 30's,and the cord appears to have caught fire!:eek: I'm guessing I shoud just junk it. I'd like something newish and cheap.:D

Why junk it just check it out real well and replace the cord.

As for building a variac, I sort of tried it when I was young before I knew that transformer core had to be made of laminations. I wound it on a tee post with about 400 to 500 turns and hooked it to 120 vac and pow the breaker tripped.

It was a good learning experience and it made a good electro magnet LOL.

I got the idea from a hipotronics voltage regulator which had a long variable transformer. It was about 3 feet long and not a toroid. It drove a buck and boost trans.

Nick

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.