• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Is my 300B tube dead?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have two 300B Tubelab SE amps, one stereo and one mono. They all use Valve Art 300B tube. The one in my mono may be gone beyond repairable point but I would like to double check with you guys.

Here is what happened. I started to hear crackle, pop and hiss from my mono amp couple of weeks ago. I took the tube out and checked to see if solder is bad somewhere but didn't notice any visually. I put the tube back in and all was well. Yesterday, the noise came back. I swapped the tube with the one in my stereo amp and the noise followed the tube. Not only that, the bias ran away on the suspected tube and the fuse in my stereo amp blew.

This tube was purchased new from Antique E. S. and used for about 200 hours. Is this tube gone?

Is 90 day warranty pretty much all I need? Considering my next 300B will be a different brand and I wonder if it's worth the extra cost of extended warranty. In other words, if it's going to fail, it would happen rather earlier than later I suppose. Or is it different for 300B tubes?

Update

This really is a strange coincidence. :xeye:
It turns out that the culprit was bad solder at one of the pins of output tube socket. What I didn't expect was to have this happen on both amps (mono and stereo) at the socket I plugged it into which made me to think that the problem followed the tube. I re-soldered them and now it's back to normal.

This tube is not defective and I apologize if I mislead anyone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.