• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Saw them coming (stupid prices on ebay)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
But they still buy them

Hey
I wish I had kept some of the mad, absolutely mad prices they are asking on ebay.. I have seen people pay more for an auction on ebay than the item costs new!!! (Lundahl mc step ups and 2 digital slr's).
You must put the term "rare" or "Collectors Item" or better still, and this is the one that always kills me "Measures Better than new"..
how can it be better? Ar NOS tubes like red wine?
Caveat Emptor
There a sucker born every minute and they mostly have ended up on ebay.
When I first joined ebay it was great... I got countless great hi fi bargains but I am afraid it isnt the Nirvana it once was....
Oh Well
Nick

Not long ago I spotted a NOS transmitter valve (I fail to remember the model) worth about $50 US being sold sold for about 300€. That's roughly 260€ worth of air. Didn't particularly like 'em apples, myself. The good thing is that I suppose most valve enthusiasts are pretty well aware of what they're looking for. It is worth noticing that usually none of these ridiculously overpriced valves have any bids on them. Which of course is a good thing.

I can only guess that people must be paying these prices because it is on EBay and assuming it is a deal...
It is it is. You ever look for a laptop on ebay?
They sell 5 year old laptops and even BROKEN laptops 100-200 more then a new one.
As for tubes ive never really looked on ebay as i dont trust them
But i have seen some sylvania gas tubes sell for upwards of 200 dollars each and Russian VFD tubes for about the same price, and that was the tiny single digit ones that are filled with neon not the good ones like these: http://www.allspectrum.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=345

there are some round bulb ones selling now 3 for 5 dollars
http://cgi.ebay.com/lot-of-3-IN-1-S...tor-octal_W0QQitemZ280330830443QQcmdZViewItem
Hardly enough to make a clock without a major redesign

bacon665 said:

It is it is. You ever look for a laptop on ebay?
They sell 5 year old laptops and even BROKEN laptops 100-200 more then a new one.

One of my fellow engineers makes a business out of buying broken PPC Mac's - fixing them and selling back on eBay.

He looks for laptops that fail with a certain set of symptoms - that all relate to bad bypass caps (it seems there was a rash of bad caps - or cheap ones put into Mac's). Three or four 1800uf caps later and he makes a profit of a few hundred per laptop.

Not my idea of a second job, but it works for him and he makes money at it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.